Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I guess...I'm in the minority, I suppose but a properly integrated sub & speakers would be superior to having full range towers. I'd rather have the mass moving ability...of a large driver(15-18") vs that of a full range towers with 8" woofs(~28-35hz)....its not even close when I compare the two in my current set up...a good sub is far more capable option...YMMV.
    Billy,

Actually, I believe you and I are in the Majority! Full range larger 10+ octave tower speaker systems (w\active bass sections) are not only much costlier to design and implement successfully, but are much more limiting in "complete room acoustical integration" compared to well designed 2-way mains + servo subs (ex: Sierra 2's + Rythmik)! The freedom to "tune-in" and obtain a sharp natural focus of the top end for superior imaging and sound stage with a small cabinet monitor is very advantageous. The freedom to minimize room interaction nulls and peaks with a specialized sub unit(s) placement in the bottom end is also very desirable.

I can understand there are room set ups and challenges that larger full range tower designs would better accommodate. It will be interesting to see what Dave and Brian come up with. However if speaker placements are not an issue (due to living arrangements, room dimensions, etc), it is hard to beat a finely tuned well matched Full-Range sub\satellite system! For me and my audio 2.1-channel music room and our 5.1 HT living room, we have "live" sound that is always enjoyable! And yes, YMWV!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled "diamond in the rough" programing...

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Maybe with Dave's R&D with the Diamond tweeter he can help SEAS develop a less expensive version with nearly identical characteristics, like a Cubic Zirconia tweeter........!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    Thanks, Dave!

I was ignorant of the SEAS Diamond tweeter's output capabilities and power handling. I inferred that it could play substantially louder than the 70-20XL RAAL ribbon. But since that is not the case, it renders my other suggestions moot!

I also greatly appreciate your discussion of passive vs. active speaker design. That's very illuminating

- Rob H.
    Always my pleasure Rob! I have quite a bit of experience in taking an existing passive design and converting it to an active design. Subs are easy in this regard, as the filtering is simple, only one amp channel, and one can get away with using lesser quality amplification since basically everything above 200Hz is steeply rolled off.

For a speaker, I think the only way to do it right is to send the digital signal direct to the speaker, this way one can avoid many of the issues with op amps while also avoiding yet another A/D and then D/A conversion. Problem these days is that receivers and pre-processors don't offer digital outs for each HT channel. When that option becomes mainstream, I suspect we will see many more fully active speakers for consumer use...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I guess...I'm in the minority, I suppose but a properly integrated sub & speakers would be superior to having full range towers. I'd rather have the mass moving ability...of a large driver(15-18") vs that of a full range towers with 8" woofs(~28-35hz)....its not even close when I compare the two in my current set up...a good sub is far more capable option...YMMV.
    I also agree that a sub is the way to go, but for many people and especially as homes get smaller - subs are not an option.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Can't believe it's been 3 month since last post on this topic!!

Dave, now you have finished with Sierra Luna, will you circle back and spend some time on the diamond tweeter tower?

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    Can't believe it's been 3 month since last post on this topic!!

Dave, now you have finished with Sierra Luna, will you circle back and spend some time on the diamond tweeter tower?
    I expect to be able to start serious work on this in March. We have a brand new website in the works which is very high priority for us...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I expect to be able to start serious work on this in March. We have a brand new website in the works which is very high priority for us...
    Just out of curiosity, will you be looking at a bookshelf or tower design with this tweeter, or both? And will you be looking at a higher level woofer(s) to match the tweeter?

I too am very interested in these. I just got a pair of Funk 18.0c's and realized a great deal of my towers size and capability are just being wasted.

I for one would be super interested in like a 3-way standmount though there may be reason I am unaware of to stick with 2-way.

Either way, my goal is to get a speaker that can meet or ideally exceed the abilities of my towers above crossover. I don't really whah happens below crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Just out of curiosity, will you be looking at a bookshelf or tower design with this tweeter, or both? And will you be looking at a higher level woofer(s) to match the tweeter?
    These will be considered specialty products due to the very high pricing of this tweeter. First model will be a bookshelf. A tower speaker with appropriate high performance parts to match the performance of this tweeter will easily be $10K plus for a pair. I would gladly design a tower version if there is interest, but I suspect very little interest due to the pricing.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am interested in the towers. Please release both the bookshelves and the towers at the same time.😀