Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Default Re: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Strange feedback. What i understood is that with no EQ, just running sound through a better receiver, components like better amp, electronics, default sound processing should improve the sound. Is that understanind incorrect? Because it seems like what you guys are saying that the only benefit of a new receiver is things like better Audyssey, etc.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    You're saying that it won't do much to my sound? Upgrading from a old, entry level receiver Yamaha RX-v465
    This depends on you and how you intend to use the new receiver (I discussed this previously) If you want to run the system as pure analog and bypass all the DSP processing, the new receiver will have a very minimal effect on sound quality.

If you intend to use DSP processing, such at Auto-EQ and various other DSP "modes", the new receiver can be quite beneficial, assuming it has the latest codecs and YPAO has been significantly improved from your current model. Again -- that is an assumption.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    Strange feedback. What i understood is that with no EQ, just running sound through a better receiver, components like better amp, electronics, default sound processing should improve the sound. Is that understanind incorrect? Because it seems like what you guys are saying that the only benefit of a new receiver is things like better Audyssey, etc.
    Not strange feedback at all -- knowledgeable feedback.

With no EQ running and no DSP processing, please detail what exactly you are getting with a "better" receiver, besides more power? Technically, how does the step up model receiver achieve better sound quality? Does the new receiver use MOSFETS in the output stage? Does it change from an IC amplifier stage to a discrete output stage? Does the new receiver upgrade to a toroidal transformer or does it provide a different type of feedback circuit or perhaps use better quality opamps in the pre-amp stage? Besides more power and improved DSP processing, what makes this new receiver "better"? Why not call Yamaha and actually ask them?

More power does not provide better sound quality unless you are running at extremely loud volume levels and it really takes twice the power to make a noticeable difference at these levels.

There is no magic to this, amplifier and preamplifier stages are very simple circuits and until someone is able to provide for me at least one legitimate technical improvement in either the amplifier or pre-amplifier stage, besides DSP, I remain extremely skeptical that one unit has better sound quality then the other...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Got it . Good info.

I though that when people say better sound it's because of EQ and other sound modifiers. My friend made it sound to me that it will produce better sound just because it's better built. Components wise
    Sub - Rythmik F12

Just a thought ..... if I change my crossover from 80Hz to 60Hz .... will that make my Sierra-1s sound fuller? My sub is not turned on high so I thought maybe i am better off sending a bit more bass to the fronts.

what do you guys think?
    Sub - Rythmik F12

Give it a try and see. There is no harm in experimentation. That is half the fun with this hobby.

For music, I found the Sierra-1s sounded better with the crossover set lower than 80 Hz. Not only was the sound "fuller" as you might say, but it integrated better with my sub in the room. 60 Hz sounded good, so definitely give it a try. For my room and my preferences, I settled on 50 Hz.

That said, I still run the Sierra-1s at 80 Hz for movies.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Give it a try and see. There is no harm in experimentation. That is half the fun with this hobby.

For music, I found the Sierra-1s sounded better with the crossover set lower than 80 Hz. Not only was the sound "fuller" as you might say, but it integrated better with my sub in the room. 60 Hz sounded good, so definitely give it a try. For my room and my preferences, I settled on 50 Hz.

That said, I still run the Sierra-1s at 80 Hz for movies.
    Now I need a receiver that would allow me to save different sound options .... one for movies and one for music. My current one I THINK, doesn't do that.
    Sub - Rythmik F12

Wink Re: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

I wound up with my Sierras with B-plugs at 40 Hz crossover.

The distance from the rear wall, and toe-in are other variables.

Try Resetting your Receiver to get rid of accumulated fiddling. Start with basic manual setup without DSP.

Don't Panic, and carry a towel.

B.

All things being equal, and good sub integration....crossing over at 60hz and 80hz should not change the fullness...but maybe the quality.

With my old sub, I could hear a difference with quality between 60hz and 80hz...with 60hz sounding better, so that is where I crossed.

With my current sub, I hear no difference between the two, so I cross at 80hz. I use Q Plug B in all my Sierra-1's. I used to use Q Plug A in my center, but some rearranging, and I moved to the B plug.

Do the Sierras sound "full" when set to large and no sub in use?
    Last edited by curtis; 10-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    All things being equal, and good sub integration....crossing over at 60hz and 80hz should sound the same.

Do the Sierras sound "full" when set to large and no sub in use?
    Nope .... i like them with Sub.
    Sub - Rythmik F12