Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplifier shopping...decisions decisions

Default Re: Amplifier shopping...decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalTriumph View Post
    Ya know, the more research I do, the more I come to the conclusion that the difference between one amp and another can be summed up in one word: "marketing". So, I do think I'm going to save my shekels and stand pat with the Yammy.

I ran Dirac on the system yesterday (my "adventures" with this are documented in another thread...what a PITA...) And when all was said and done, I felt like Dirac took all the life and energy out of my system. Maybe I just like a more lively, bright, exciting sound...
    Smart man. And yes, it's more about fluff marketing than actual audible performance. There is something to be said about beautiful build quality and pride of ownership for sure, just know what it is you're paying for. That said, I really love the look of Mac gear. If money were no object I'd prolly own one. As it is bang for buck I'm happy with my Mono 7.

Maybe I'll dip into your thread later. Do you have some fr sweeps we can look at? I saw the thread title but I don't have any experience with Dirac so don't know if I can offer you much. I do know it's pretty advanced and considered one of the best req programs available. I use MultEQ XT32 and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD with great results, but I'd really like to try Dirac sometime. I've read good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Do you have some fr sweeps we can look at? I saw the thread title but I don't have any experience with Dirac so don't know if I can offer you much. I do know it's pretty advanced and considered one of the best req programs available. I use MultEQ XT32 and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD with great results, but I'd really like to try Dirac sometime. I've read good things about it.
    Just posted a bunch of screenshots on the other thread.

I have to add my own experience here.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to listen to my system with a pair of mono block class D amps. They were Cherry Maraschinos from Digital Amplifier Company. I was running a big Adcom GFA-5500 (200w/ch) at the time. A friend was selling the Cherries at the time. Although I could not afford to buy them off him, he agreed to let me borrow them until he found a buyer.

At the risk of this sounding like a marketing ploy.. I have no affiliation with Digital Amp Co., I will just say that no other piece of audio gear has made such a profound difference in my system. I only left those little amps hooked up for 2 days because I was beginning to try scheming up a way to pay for them. When my friend finally found a buyer and came over to pick them up, I had them hooked up so he could hear them driving my Sierra-2's(now EX's). His jaw hit the floor. He just turned and stared at me slack-jawed. I nodded and told him that was why I had to pull them out after 2 days, otherwise I would've ended up in hhot water with my wife.

I currently run a Van Alstine SET-120 rated at "only" 60w/ch@8ohms, 120w/ch@4ohms. Class A/B biased to class A for the 1st 8-10 watts. It sounds great, but I hope some day I can once again hear those Cherries driving my Sierras.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I have to add my own experience here.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to listen to my system with a pair of mono block class D amps. They were Cherry Maraschinos from Digital Amplifier Company. I was running a big Adcom GFA-5500 (200w/ch) at the time. A friend was selling the Cherries at the time. Although I could not afford to buy them off him, he agreed to let me borrow them until he found a buyer.

At the risk of this sounding like a marketing ploy.. I have no affiliation with Digital Amp Co., I will just say that no other piece of audio gear has made such a profound difference in my system. I only left those little amps hooked up for 2 days because I was beginning to try scheming up a way to pay for them. When my friend finally found a buyer and came over to pick them up, I had them hooked up so he could hear them driving my Sierra-2's(now EX's). His jaw hit the floor. He just turned and stared at me slack-jawed. I nodded and told him that was why I had to pull them out after 2 days, otherwise I would've ended up in hhot water with my wife.

I currently run a Van Alstine SET-120 rated at "only" 60w/ch@8ohms, 120w/ch@4ohms. Class A/B biased to class A for the 1st 8-10 watts. It sounds great, but I hope some day I can once again hear those Cherries driving my Sierras.
    Well dammit. Now my wallet is freaking open again!

Doesn't seem the Maraschinos are available any more - every other product on their page has an "add to cart" button but not the Cherry Maraschinos...

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalTriumph View Post
    Well dammit. Now my wallet is freaking open again!

Doesn't seem the Maraschinos are available any more - every other product on their page has an "add to cart" button but not the Cherry Maraschinos...
    Give Tommy a call. He usually has lots of specials that are not advertised. I had the little inline mono amps running my Sierras with the 60V power supplies and extra capacitance, but he has less expensive models. I just could not afford to buy them off my friend.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'm a RAAL Sierra Tower and Horizon owner and I use a King 5-CHerry amp from Digital Amplifier. IMO it's a great combination. I agree with Mag_Neato, give Tommy O'Brien a call or email him (support@digitalamp.com). I had lots of questions before I purchased and he was very helpful.

Also, I'm on the Digital Amplifier email list and received an email 2 days ago. Here's a snippet that I think might be of interest to you...

We have hardware! We are finally receiving many long lead time materials, and we're building new MEGAschino, x-CHerry, and Maraschino amplifiers.

We have some amazing specials lined up, including deals on demos and new equipment until November 15th.

By the way, we've never raised our list prices, and plan to keep it that way.

This weekend only! Take an extra $100 off any purchase over $400 if you mention this email. To get our updated specials list, please email us HERE.

Our current specials include:

1. Cherry Classic Stereo amp with 1500W transformer upgrade
    2. MEGAschino MK2 Stereo Amplifier DEMO with double rail caps and black faceplate
    3. Stereo Maraschino MK3 (advance order)
    4. KING 4-CHerry (we have two!)

I believe the gold standard in class D is Purifi Audio.. Bruno Putzey's latest endeavour. The Purifi 1ET400a modules appear to measure better than Hypex Ncore but well implemented amplifiers using either Purifi or Ncore modules will have class A/B or A rivaling sound. I also believe that no implementation of the Purifi 1ET400a module has measured superior to Bruno's Eval1 set, and any fiddling and switching of op amps and buffers results in worse results (although some may prefer the slight distortion). I now own two amps using Purifi boards and switch mode power supplies. There is absolutely no going back to heavy amps hauling around massive toroidal transformers and heat sinks. I'm even opposed to class D amplifiers mated to large toroidal transformers. Yes you save electricity but please save my back!

The only amplifier that measures better is Benchmark AHB2 which is in a league of its own.

I am 100% converted to class D, and I will never go back to A or A/B given what is now technically available in class D.

At a budget of 2K, the NAD C298 is a strong stereo amplifier contender using the newest technology Purifi 1ET400a modules.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-19-2022 at 09:26 PM.