Thread: Subwoofer Crossover and Integration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Subwoofer Crossover and Integration

Quote Originally Posted by Alleric View Post
    1. Low crossover of subwoofer due to localization.

I've tested this six ways to Sunday at every crossover point I have available to me from 80hz on down on two different sets of main speakers over the past year. I tolerated it at 50hz cause my old speaks would peter out by the high 40's completely, so I had to put them on a 50hz highpass to keep them safe. Sierra's roll down into the low 40's just fine at the listening position, and the sub props things up the rest of the way.

2. Phase issues at a crossover point.

See response on point one. I messed with phase at every point of the way a year ago when I did this. I didn't really see a point of going through that mess again. I tested localization the day the Sierra's showeed up, both at 80hz and 50hz. I could localize. Evaluated how low the Sierra's could go, set the sub accordingly.

3. Running mains full range + sub.

I don't see the issue with doing this. What am I missing?
    1. I just haven't experienced localization like that. I wonder if it is because of the nearfield setup, and some kind of distortion or resonance from something nearby that may be the issue, or that the sub is not EQd.

2. Here is a good article on setting up proper phase. They even use a Hsu subwoofer.
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...phase-easy-way

3. One of the reasons for not running speakers fullrange with a sub is to relieve the speaker from having to reproduce low frequencies, which allows the driver to work on frequencies that are easier for it to produce...less work so to speak, and because the sub is better suited for those frequencies, less distortion, and high overall output. Also, by using a proper crossover, the crossover slopes are better integrated. The bit "but" is that no matter what you do, whatever sound better to you...then do it.
    Last edited by curtis; 09-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    -curtis