Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    I am thoroughly impressed with the Sierra-2. If I ever need another pair of bookshelves, I'll purchase another pair. My only wish is that I wish it were front-ported like the Salk Sound SILK bookshelf. I understand that the rear ported cabinet from the original Sierra had to be preserved. But make a front ported version with a slit-like port (similar to the port on the Horizon) and I'd buy another pair.
    Very happy to hear that you have been enjoying the Sierra-2!!!

I actually built some front slot port sample cabinets a while back -- even posted some pictures of them. After thorough evaluation, bass performance was compromised by this design. There was just no way to make the slot port with enough area with the tuning required that would allow for uninhibited air-flow of the rather exceptional movement the S2 woofer is capable of. The cabinet would have to be quite a bit larger, thus changing the overall design and adding additional expense

See here:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...4382#post44382

Sorry
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the input, Dave. Did you ever think about moving the woofer mount higher so that the tweeter and woofer mounts are almost in contact (As they are arranged on the Sierra Tower) so that there is more space at the bottom for a round port? I don't know much about speaker design but I was thinking this would be the only way to front-port on the current cabinets.

Thanks for the input, Dave. Did you ever think about moving the woofer mount higher so that the tweeter and woofer mounts are almost in contact (As they are arranged on the Sierra Tower) so that there is more space at the bottom for a round port? I don't know much about speaker design but I was thinking this would be the only way to front-port on the current cabinets.
    Still don't think there would be enough space for a front port.
    -curtis

My Sierra 2s are pretty close to the wall and performance out of them is outstanding, I personally like the rear ported design as it cleans up the front, my only wish is that it had magnet grills to clean up the holes for the grill. This isn't a big deal though cause my next LCR of S2s will be ordered without grills for my front 3 why cover up the woofer and this beauty raal tweeter? The raal tweeter looks really cool in the dark cause you can see the silver a little bit when the grills are off. Still amazed with these speakers, movies, tv, music all sound crazy good, like scary good, when watching the walking dead it freaks the **** out of me sometimes cause the zombies sound like their in the room, or watching house of cards every time the door shuts in the show it shoguns like a door shut in my room, the weight and just realist sound to it tricks me way too much.
    Last edited by JustABrah; 03-22-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Is S2 good for near field listening? my room is 11' and the distance between the speakers and listening spot is likely to be 5-7'.
    And how do you like the S2 with classical music / movies?

I was using my Sierra 2 for near field monitoring for a while. At low volumes, they're great. But at higher volumes, it's like wearing headphones with kick. I can feel my eardrums moving with the air displacement. My Sierra-1 NrT has moved to my computer speaker near-field duty, and the Sierra-2's are now serving as normal bookshelf duty. You can't go wrong with the Sierra-2 for classical.

Thanks, I figure if I go with s2 instead of s2 I can only afford a budget amp (but can be upgraded later), what do people recommend for a $300-400 amp? Since it's for near field, quality is more important than power.

Quote Originally Posted by sunlight99 View Post
    Is S2 good for near field listening? my room is 11' and the distance between the speakers and listening spot is likely to be 5-7'.
    And how do you like the S2 with classical music / movies?
    The S2's are excellent for near field listening. I do at least half of my listening of the two's near field. That stated, near field is considered less than 1 meter away from the speaker -- at 5-7' distance, you are in what I would consider the standard listening distance of the speaker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I was using my Sierra 2 for near field monitoring for a while. At low volumes, they're great. But at higher volumes, it's like wearing headphones with kick. I can feel my eardrums moving with the air displacement. My Sierra-1 NrT has moved to my computer speaker near-field duty, and the Sierra-2's are now serving as normal bookshelf duty. You can't go wrong with the Sierra-2 for classical.
    Interesting, are you saying that with the two's -- you noticed more air displacement thus pressurizing your ears a bit more than say the Sierra-1 NrT? That would be somewhat odd, since it is directly related to volume level.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave
    Can you suggest any integrated amps or pre/amps that may match very good with the Sierra's 2's? I sold off my Emotiva gear, as I thought they were a little bright sounding with the Ascends.. I prefer a little warmer less harsh sound. budget around 2 grand