Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Default Re: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    In reference to the db reading, -15 is roughly 15 db below reference volume. 0 db being reference volume. This is not exact but thats the jist of it.
    Yes, Thanks. That is what I would have assumed -15 meant. So when one says reference volume what does that mean in reference to what? Is that when it is playing at max db rating of the Receiver?

when you calibrate your speakers with Audyssey, it plays a twip, twip sound to each speaker. This sound is picked up by your audyssey mic ,which then tells the receiver the distance and volume of each speaker as the twip, twip goes from one speaker to the next. once all speakers are twipped out, what you have is the speakers calibrated for 75dbs, which is the reference or 0.

this is just a rough idea and a quick summary of how I interpret it. others may chime in with more knowledge than I and prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Harro View Post
    when you calibrate your speakers with Audyssey, it plays a twip, twip sound to each speaker. This sound is picked up by your audyssey mic ,which then tells the receiver the distance and volume of each speaker as the twip, twip goes from one speaker to the next. once all speakers are twipped out, what you have is the speakers calibrated for 75dbs, which is the reference or 0.

this is just a rough idea and a quick summary of how I interpret it. others may chime in with more knowledge than I and prove me wrong.
    Right...calibrated for 75dB at the listening position (where you put the mic)...which is set as 0dB on the volume dial. This is how it should work...but always smart to actually measure on your own.

"Reference Level" is defined as the volume at 75db (decibels) in your room using full band pink noise. It is good note that this was designed for full on commercial theaters, and not home/living room listening spaces. Reference levels in "normal" living rooms will seem louder than they are in a theater.
    Last edited by curtis; 05-22-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Right...calibrated for 75dB at the listening position (where you put the mic)...which is set as 0dB on the volume dial. This is how it should work...but always smart to actually measure on your own.

"Reference Level" is defined as the volume at 75db (decibels) in your room using full band pink noise. It is good note that this was designed for full on commercial theaters, and not home/living room listening spaces. Reference levels in "normal" living rooms will seem louder than they are in a theater.
    thank you gentlemen for this lesson. It makes sense now. Curtis you are so right, 75db/0 does sound extremely loud in my room. i generally stop at -15 on the dial. especially for movies.
    The JL is here and set up but calibration is still required and ore lessons on how to mesh it with my systm.

Hi, did my Twip Twip (Love it) with the audysseyXT after hooking up the JL F113 ( what a Beast). It made a ton of difference in my Listening area. Apparently my calibration was horrible. Had to turn down the Low Pass Filter on the JL to 40 HZ to get the better and Lower sound.

Just have to wait for those towers with RAAL now and do the Twip Twip again. Alas they are still a ways away. Will definitely not have them by July 4th Weekend per Dina's email Last week.

BTW I could barely keep it at -10 for short periods of time. I was listening between -12 and -15 for the most part.

If anyone else is wanting to test their Subs then search for Heavy Bass on Spotify and you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Audiolover458; 05-25-2014 at 04:26 PM.

If anyone has been able to compare the Sierra-2's and the Sierra towers with RAAL side by side. Is there double the pleasure in Owning the Towers? I am thinking since I cant get the Towers for Two Months I may just go with the Sierra'2 as fronts ( not sure if THEY are in Stock) and be content with it for a Year then get the towers and use the 2's as Surrounds. ANYONE?? Please advise.

Some might say the Sierra 2 as surrounds are overkill. I do not subscribe to that school of thought as that is exactly what I plan to do. As far as the towers, it seems if you wait until they have cabinets on hand to actually place your order, you may miss out. They seem to be selling at a pretty quick rate. IMO, place the tower order and save for the 2's. Glad to hear the sub worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Some might say the Sierra 2 as surrounds are overkill. I do not subscribe to that school of thought as that is exactly what I plan to do. As far as the towers, it seems if you wait until they have cabinets on hand to actually place your order, you may miss out. They seem to be selling at a pretty quick rate. IMO, place the tower order and save for the 2's. Glad to hear the sub worked out.
    Hi Loony, I already put in my order for the Towers with RAALs Two weeks ago.

I am having a hard time waiting because my current speakers are Toast. It would have been nice if in this case they could send something like a Sierra 1 b-Stock while we wait for the Towers. I would even pay for both ways shipping since it seems to be a reasonable 40 bucks each. That is my frustration.

yes, The Sub looks like it is enough for my room although Two would be better.
    I think the picking of which sub is better can never be perfect because everyone's ears are different. Mine are worse and I need to really learn how to set the system up because i know it can be made better by a little more calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiolover458 View Post
    I am having a hard time waiting because my current speakers are Toast. It would have been nice if in this case they could send something like a Sierra 1 b-Stock while we wait for the Towers. I would even pay for both ways shipping since it seems to be a reasonable 40 bucks each. That is my frustration.
    Audiolover,

Why not just order the pair of B-stock Sierra-1 from us to tide you over? You have never mentioned this to us directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Audiolover,

Why not just order the pair of B-stock Sierra-1 from us to tide you over? You have never mentioned this to us directly.
    Great point Dave, Unfortunately today it is simply economics. I will certainly be buying more next year perhaps a Horizon Center First and then a Pair of Sierra 2's for Surround.

Thanks for the Good Sound.
    -Neal