Thread: Sierra 1 center

Default Sierra 1 center

Most centers have an MTM or similar configuration as does the CMT340. The Sierra 1 does not. I understand the tweeter is rotated but is this configuration a compromise of sorts?

Default Re: Sierra 1 center

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    Most centers have an MTM or similar configuration as does the CMT340. The Sierra 1 does not. I understand the tweeter is rotated but is this configuration a compromise of sorts?
    Generally speaking, horizontally oriented MTM speakers are actually more of a compromise due to off-axis wave interference. The compromise in the case of a horizontally positioned Sierra-1 is that of looks, as the majority of consumers expect symmetry for a center channel - thus the proliferation of MTM centers.

Here is a good read: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...peaker-designs

With our 340 center, we greatly reduce horizontal off-axis wave interference by implementing several features but I must say that the Sierra-1 center, even with a single woofer, will outperform the 340 center when it comes to off-axis clarity.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Generally speaking, horizontally oriented MTM speakers are actually more of a compromise due to off-axis wave interference. The compromise in the case of a horizontally positioned Sierra-1 is that of looks, as the majority of consumers expect symmetry for a center channel - thus the proliferation of MTM centers.

Here is a good read: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...peaker-designs

With our 340 center, we greatly reduce horizontal off-axis wave interference by implementing several features but I must say that the Sierra-1 center, even with a single woofer, will outperform the 340 center when it comes to off-axis clarity.
    The results of that study are pretty crazy and certainly go against the paradigm regarding how a center channel speaker should be oriented. I can see why you designed the Sierra Horizon with the driver orientation in the fashion it does.
    -Ben

I have the ability to place a Sierra 1 as the center in either the vertical or horizontal position. Is there any sound difference between the two positions (assuming the tweeter is oriented properly in both cases)? Is one orientation preferred from a sound, clarity, or off-axis perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
    I have the ability to place a Sierra 1 as the center in either the vertical or horizontal position. Is there any sound difference between the two positions (assuming the tweeter is oriented properly in both cases)? Is one orientation preferred from a sound, clarity, or off-axis perspective?
    Vertical would sound slightly better if sitting off axis. Should sound the same if sitting directly in front of the center.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
    I would recommend vertical as it would provide a symmetrical and more linear off-axis response.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like vertical is the preferred orientation.