Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV12 crackle, buzz and hum

Default LV12 crackle, buzz and hum

We've had our LV12R for about 7 months now and it started picking up some kind of feedback recently. It has some kind of crackle, buzzing, hum thing going on in the background. I really don't know where to start troubleshooting or how this may have started. It's really distracting once I started hearing it.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I tried turning it off, unplugging, and using a different outlet/power strip. No improvement.

Thank you!

Default Re: LV12 crackle, buzz and hum

Definitely not at all normal.

It's possible that the power outlet can cause interference, but I haven't heard of crackling sounds being caused by such (nor have I ever personally heard power line interference on modern equipment). My guess would be that the amplifier is dying. Almost all electronics components (of any kind) have roughly a 1% failure rate in the first year. How does it feel to be part of the 1%?

I suggest contacting Rythmik about a repair or replacement.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try a ground loop isolator to see if that helps. Strange that this came out of nowhere. The only thing I can think of that we added or changed is the new Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try a ground loop isolator to see if that helps. Strange that this came out of nowhere. The only thing I can think of that we added or changed is the new Amazon Fire TV Stick.
    Would it be easier just to disconnect the Fire TV Stick, and see if the problems goes away?
    -curtis

I assume the problem goes away when the audio cable is disconnected? Granted this is the case it wouldn't hurt to clean your wire connections, and if this fails, to swap out the audio cable for another one. Also, make sure your audio cable is not running parallel to a nearby power cord.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
    We've had our LV12R for about 7 months now and it started picking up some kind of feedback recently. It has some kind of crackle, buzzing, hum thing going on in the background. I really don't know where to start troubleshooting or how this may have started. It's really distracting once I started hearing it.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I tried turning it off, unplugging, and using a different outlet/power strip. No improvement.

Thank you!
    Here is a link from Rythmiks website http://www.rythmikaudio.com/faq.html#ground
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I assume the problem goes away when the audio cable is disconnected? Granted this is the case it wouldn't hurt to clean your wire connections, and if this fails, to swap out the audio cable for another one. Also, make sure your audio cable is not running parallel to a nearby power cord.
    Mark
    Yes, goes away when audio cable is disconnected and thanks for the link. Going through these recommendations, but no luck yet. Ordered an isolator for the TV cable line. Can anyone recommend a high quality shielded subwoofer audio cable?

I'd suggest Monoprice.

Having high gains on the Sub amp can induce hum as well. If the hum is gone when you disconnect the rca cable, then the hum maybe be caused by other electronics or interference at racs ends and you can test it by eliminating other electronics that you use by unplugging them out.

I had a hum appear suddenly while watching a movie..it continued even with all sources turned off & the sub in standby mode...the sub cable was accidentally pushed up against the power bar while dusting under the credenza. Certainly a simple fix but it did take some doing...figuring that out....

As for recommending a new sub cable the ones from monoprice are good but the LC-1 from bluejeans cable are double shielded for the best possible protection from EFI or RFI issues.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/
    Last edited by billy p; 12-28-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: BJC link
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.