Thread: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Appreciate your help.

I’ve just pulled the trigger on 2EX. I like natural sounding music, initially I’ll run those without a sub. However, I’d like understand better what variables matter to pair the sub with those speakers. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Which of the Rythmik subs sounds most musical?

Default Re: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Quote Originally Posted by machnik View Post
    Appreciate your help.

I’ve just pulled the trigger on 2EX. I like natural sounding music, initially I’ll run those without a sub. However, I’d like understand better what variables matter to pair the sub with those speakers. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Which of the Rythmik subs sounds most musical?
    Typically a subwoofer will be chosen based on the size of the entire space you are dealing with. If the room enclosed and small, around 2000 cubic feet or less, then just about any Rythmik sub will work just fine for music. In this case, you can decide based on form factor if you like, or simply get a sealed sub, since it will provide a slight bit better transient response (how quickly the driver can start and stop), which can provide more detail. If you are in a room with an open floor plan, where the room and everything else that it is opened to, together, can be 10,000 cubic feet, then things are a little trickier. You would likely want to lean more towards a larger ported sub, in this case, if you are worried about keeping the budget down. Rythmik does have a high output sealed subs, but they cost more money than ported subs that cost less. This is true regardless of the manufacturer.

The good news is that you have a Rythmik sub in another room. I suggest listening to music with the new speakers without a subwoofer for a few weeks, then move the subwoofer into the same room and listen for a few weeks and see what you like better. If you prefer the subwoofer, then you can choose a subwoofer based on the size of your room. Many have said that even ported Rythmik subs are great for music, so I doubt you would be disappointed. Rythmik subs have two or three damping settings where you can dial in the transient response to your taste.