Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 1 or 2 for Home Theater

Default Re: Sierra 1 or 2 for Home Theater

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    Awesome. The Horizon is just way too big for me so I think 3 Sierra 2s seems like a happy medium as far as size & price. I also like the idea of having all three totally matched for HT and with my sub (probably crossed over at 80hz) it'll be a good setup. And that price is much easier to swallow!
    "Sounds" Great!

I have my Sierra 1's 8" away from the back wall in a 2.1 setup...soundstage is very expansive, wide and deep! Three Sierra 2's will Blow-Your-Mine with Great Audio compared to the **** 601's...ENJOY!!!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 01-08-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Again looking at the price though, it's a full $1000 more to go from three Sierra-1s to three Sierra-2s (both setups a pair of stands for LR channels). Is there that much of a benefit?

I just took delivery of Sierra 1's LCR about a week ago. I have nothing to compare them with but they sound fantastic. How about splitting the difference quality and price-wise and go for Sierra 1's NRT?

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    I just took delivery of Sierra 1's LCR about a week ago. I have nothing to compare them with but they sound fantastic. How about splitting the difference quality and price-wise and go for Sierra 1's NRT?
    Hey, I was wondering if you got your Sierra 1's yet. So you are pleased with them? Better than your Def Tecs (I believe)? I'm super happy with mine. Wish I could hear 2's. Either way, upgrading is not in my budget right now.

Sorry to high-jack your post kingcrowing. I have 1's as my LCR and as I said I'm very happy with them. Have not heard the 2's to compare. I am in a room that opens up to the kitchen and hallway. I still feel like I need a sub for stereo music listening. For their size the 1's have amazing bass extension but kind of gets lost in a large-ish open room. Also depends on what kind of music you listen to.

I also have a large room that opens in a dining room then kitchen so that's a concern. I do have a sub I use with home theater but prefer to use Stereo for music (I mainly listen to rock, Pink Floyd, Phish, Radiohead are my top bands), so that kind of makes me think it may be worth springing for the Sierra-2s so I can keep with Stereo for music.

I have my Sierra 2 in a fairly large room as well. 13x35 ft including the dining and kitchen. I would say that the Sierras do pretty well on their own full range, no sub, for music. If you have a high quality sub or two, that is properly integrated, it does sound even better, even for music. I run my subs for everything, movies, music, games, etc.. But I would say it depends on your sub. Not every sub can match the quality of the Sierra 2.

Cool, that's probably about my setup as well. And I'll often listen to music while I'm way in the back in the kitchen or walking around the house so good to know it does decent in that environment.

I have a pretty mediocre sub I got on Amazon years back (BIC America 10") that definitely won't keep up with any Ascends, but it'll do for now and in the future I'll upgrade it when I've got more space and money!

I also have a large room that opens in a dining room then kitchen so that's a concern. I do have a sub I use with home theater but prefer to use Stereo for music (I mainly listen to rock, Pink Floyd, Phish, Radiohead are my top bands), so that kind of makes me think it may be worth springing for the Sierra-2s so I can keep with Stereo for music.
    I don't think the Sierra 2 has any louder or deeper bass extension than the 1. Actually, I think the 1 has a very small advantage on bass extension over the 2. From what I've read I'm sure the 2 is a better speaker than the 1, but I think they're pretty even in bass extension when ran in full range.

I have seen a few others say that as well... the big question I have that I was hoping Dave could maybe chime in on, is which speakers is better in a less than ideal listening setup? Many people sitting outside of the "sweet spot" and speakers being closer to the wall than ideal, etc.

I have seen a few others say that as well... the big question I have that I was hoping Dave could maybe chime in on, is which speakers is better in a less than ideal listening setup? Many people sitting outside of the "sweet spot" and speakers being closer to the wall than ideal, etc.
    I won't speak for Dave, but I'm willing to bet that the Sierra-2 is the better choice because of the RAAL tweeter and it's mega-wide dispersion. The RAAL allows you to walk around the room with barely any difference in frequency response. There is a slight vertical shift (when you stand up) but not a lot. It's a unique feature of the RAAL that really makes a difference in real world situations.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers