Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Re: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

I wouldn't rule out a class A/B just over heat and power usage. I run my towers with an SA-250, 250w per channel 8ohm / 400 per into 4ohm class A/B. I have ran it for a couple years with 4ohm towers and now the sierra towers and it barely gets warm even after long periods of high volume listening. My Pre-pro actually gets warmer to the touch than the amp does.

Actually I just checked it, its been running for 13 hours straight, lower volumes for the last hour since the wife went to bed and you can't even tell it's on by touching it.

An Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and XPA-Gen3 would be a very nice combo if you don't need HDMI support. The Gen3 is using the amp blades from their previous very pricy flagship XPR line and are supposed to be excellent. It's class H also so very efficient and it's modular so you can start with two channels and add more later if you want to expand

I know you said you're ok with using the sonos DAC but if you listen to a lot of digital music the DAC is the second most important part of the entire setup behind the speakers. Sierras are good enough speakers that a good DAC will be noticeable over an onboard chip, much more so than spending more on a pricier amp.

GL with your search!
    Last edited by rneill; 02-01-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    I wouldn't rule out a class A/B just over heat and power usage. I run my towers with an SA-250, 250w per channel 8ohm / 400 per into 4ohm class A/B. I have ran it for a couple years with 4ohm towers and now the sierra towers and it barely gets warm even after long periods of high volume listening. My Pre-pro actually gets warmer to the touch than the amp does.

Actually I just checked it, its been running for 13 hours straight, lower volumes for the last hour since the wife went to bed and you can't even tell it's on by touching it.

An Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and XPA-Gen3 would be a very nice combo if you don't need HDMI support. The Gen3 is using the amp blades from their previous very pricy flagship XPR line and are supposed to be excellent. It's class H also so very efficient and it's modular so you can start with two channels and add more later if you want to expand

I know you said you're ok with using the sonos DAC but if you listen to a lot of digital music the DAC is the second most important part of the entire setup behind the speakers. Sierras are good enough speakers that a good DAC will be noticeable over an onboard chip, much more so than spending more on a pricier amp.

GL with your search!
    Agree totally with rneill. I believe you can do better than a sonos. And I would have a lesser amp and a better dac, cdplayer/dac combo. The source is very important imho. In my bedroom system I use a Mac mini with oppo 105 and Audirvana software with all hdmi and video switching off. So it's basically streamlined for music. Sounds incredible with the S2's.
    Last edited by Wadia171i; 02-02-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadia171i View Post
    I am definitely not making a comment on that. Enjoy the Wyred4Sound. Just giving recommendations that's all. All the best.
    The only way to prove it is to run level-matched blinded tests. But these have already been done. No audio/stereo magazine will ever assert the claim that human ears cannot differentiate between/among solid state amplifiers which are driven well within their specified parameters. Why? It would send an entire sector of businesses out of business (including the advertising revenue for the magazine). But I will say it. Modern solid-state audio amplifiers that are designed for a flat response (not intentional coloring/distortion) that are driven well within their power limitations/specs sound the same. Or they are so similar that when tested on large group of self-proclaimed audiophiles, 50:50 is the typical score. They are TRANSPARENT. The theoretical differences will not pan out in a blinded level-matched testing situation. That is not to say your particular ears are super-human and better than the panels of audiophiles who have failed to prove a difference.

The change in sound due to room acoustics comb filtering by moving your speakers 2 inches to either side will be more than the change from swapping out any modern well designed solid state amplifier with another one.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Smile Re: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    The only way to prove it is to run level-matched blinded tests. But these have already been done. No audio/stereo magazine will ever assert the claim that human ears cannot differentiate between/among solid state amplifiers which are driven well within their specified parameters. Why? It would send an entire sector of businesses out of business (including the advertising revenue for the magazine). But I will say it. Modern solid-state audio amplifiers that are designed for a flat response (not intentional coloring/distortion) that are driven well within their power limitations/specs sound the same. Or they are so similar that when tested on large group of self-proclaimed audiophiles, 50:50 is the typical score. They are TRANSPARENT. The theoretical differences will not pan out in a blinded level-matched testing situation. That is not to say your particular ears are super-human and better than the panels of audiophiles who have failed to prove a difference.

The change in sound due to room acoustics comb filtering by moving your speakers 2 inches to either side will be more than the change from swapping out any modern well designed solid state amplifier with another one.
    Sounds good to me. I'm happy with my choices and glad you are too

You may want to take a serious look at Belle's Aira Integrated amplifier US made and extremely well built and musical. Very tube like but with a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Menosavvy View Post
    You may want to take a serious look at Belle's Aira Integrated amplifier US made and extremely well built and musical. Very tube like but with a punch.
    Having trouble finding this, can you provide a link?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Having trouble finding this, can you provide a link?
    Thanks

http://www.powermodules.com/products...ntegrated.html

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/11...ched-ces-2016/

Thanks. Since this is an analog only design you would have to factor in a high quality outboard DAC for digital sources.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Thanks. Since this is an analog only design you would have to factor in a high quality outboard DAC for digital sources.
    That isn't always the case. I am using an Oppo 203 UHD universal player with the Aria just fine.

I use an analog interconnect pair of cables going from the Oppo to the ARIA. HDMI from the Oppo to my TV. I have Clearaudio concept turntable that has a MM cartridge and the ARIA has the phono stage for it. This set up is really remarkable!

It's just that external DAC's are not ALWAYS needed, and certainly not a "need" when considering this outstanding integrated.

My 2 cents
    Last edited by Menosavvy; 02-03-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menosavvy View Post
    That isn't always the case. I am using an Oppo 203 UHD universal player with the Aria just fine.

I use an analog interconnect pair of cables going from the Oppo to the ARIA. HDMI from the Oppo to my TV. I have Clearaudio concept turntable that has a MM cartridge the ARIA has the phono stage for it.
    I personally don't want multi channels

It's just that external DAC's are not ALWAYS needed, and certainly not a "need" when considering this outstanding integrated.

My 2 cents
    You're using the DAC in the Oppo. Buying an Oppo is kinda like buying a standalone DAC that happens to read discs too
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U