Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wishing a warm welcome to Rythmik Audio

Default Re: Wishing a warm welcome to Rythmik Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    I have owned two Pioneer receivers and everytime I have run MCACC, it sets my sub almost exactly the same everytime and almost the exact distance to my listening position as well
    This is not related to your situation but again just demonstrate the importance of verification. My officemate in graduate school wrote a program verifying two logic designs are same in terms of functionality. At the end of the program, it prints out "verified". The advisor joked along the line that how does he know the program does more than just printing out "verified" because the program was complete quiet in printing out message. Of course, we know better than that. In addition, it is very easy to verify if it does what is supposed to do. Move the location, flip the phase switch... Throw in something that you know will change the results. (Oops I am in trouble now :-))

Can someone confirm the actual dimensions of the F-15 sub for me? Is it correctly stated on the Ascend website?

Thanx
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Can someone confirm the actual dimensions of the F-15 sub for me? Is it correctly stated on the Ascend website?
    Yup...it is correct.
    -curtis

Thanks!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Are there plans on making an F15SE in piano black that this front firing? Could this be consider a special order item if I wanted it now? I'm within days of possibly going with a pair of ULS-15 but would reconsider since this option might save me a few hundred dollars. Anyone live locally that wouldn't mind demoing the sub for 15 minutes. Im in Gardena btw.

Quote Originally Posted by lokimydog View Post
    Are there plans on making an F15SE in piano black that this front firing? Could this be consider a special order item if I wanted it now? I'm within days of possibly going with a pair of ULS-15 but would reconsider since this option might save me a few hundred dollars. Anyone live locally that wouldn't mind demoing the sub for 15 minutes. Im in Gardena btw.
    Come on over! Send me a PM and we can set something up.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    Well I don't know how robust the EQ algorithm is. I deal with software that affects millions of dollars of design works every day. In that case, there is always a verification step that uses an independent type of algorithm to verify the design work. That can catch a lot of problems such as software not able to handle certain combination of data, errors in the software... etc. Unfortunately, in EQ, you don't get that. Therefore common sense is very important. If you xover at 80hz and that is a wavelength of 12ft. So any program puts a 6 ft extra is literally inverting the phase on the sub. What I would do is I will wire the subwoofer output of phase (if there is a switch on the plate amp) and now see the results from the program. If the algorithm performs consistently, it should now remove that 6 ft distance. If not, then the problem it tries to resolve is not phase problem.

EDIT: another issue is digital latency. This applies to all digital process not symmetrically applied to all channels. My Denon 4802 has a very bad latency (defined as the delay between signal in and signal out) on subwoofer channcel as compared to other channels when I use analog mode. The reason is in their design, there is no analog domain filtering on sub. It is all done in digital domain. So it needs to convert analog to digital, then digital filtering, then digital to analog, not to mention a couple of cycles to do digital FIFO bufferring to avoid overrun errors. SO it is possible that the distance is for this. BTW, the sampling rate for subwoofer is not same as the one for front channels.

Another point is, the plots I give you are all based on close-mic measurement with the least amount of interference. When you place mic at listening position, the room mode will blur phase information and making it more difficult to extract the exact phase relation. In my view, a close-mic measurements should be very important part of EQ calibration process. With that as reference, the program would know how much is contributed to subwoofers itself, and how much is to the room. These two should be handled differently.

On a different subject, I would like to say EQ and servo IS complimentary. I one time asked the designer of Audyssey about how his program impacts the basic quality of the speaker system itself. I didn't get an answer. We all know the answer. If we think of audio components such as pre-amp, power-amp, speaker as individual components in a chain and EQ is part of it, these components cannot correct the mistake/error/distortion made by other components as there is no close loop to feedback the error back to EQ in real time. One example is, if we have a ringing in the woofer at 1000hz, one may say we just EQ it out. However, most people forget that the distortion in speaker is generated at the very last stage of this chain. EQ can control the signal passing through it, but it cannot control the distortion happen at the end of the chain. For those who reads distortion plots all the time would know, if we have a 1000hz ringing, we would get a bump in 2nd order distortion number at 500hz (because 500x2=1000), and a bump in 3rd order distortion number at 333hz (333x3=1000). The problem is still there. EQ solves part of the problem. I also think making the frequency response as perfect as possible (such as getting a very flat close-mic response from speakers and good speaker location) can make EQ algorithm easier to find an optimal solution.
    In my recent experience with a fresh pair of 15 inch SE's that I got on monday from Ascend, Audyessy works even better. Compared to my Previous setup of a PC ultra and MBM-12, the new setup coupled with audyessy is nearly flat from 13 hz to around 90hz. (or at least a much flatter curve then with audyessy and other setup).
    Some feel over on the AVS forums believe Audyssey works great to begin with but even better with sealed subs for HT. In my experience this is true.
    Even with the 2 SE's not co located, my Frq response was not very good (probably do to my room setup), but Audyessy performed like magic on both subs (seen as one). I also must say that the new Dynamic EQ feature is excellent coupled with the Rythmiks for those that don't listen at reference levels.
    These Rythmik's with Audyessy are a very very nice match, IMO. I have no need for an Anti-mode SMS-1 now.

for those in the thread using the SVS ultra subs, what "tuning" mode were you using? Sealed? Wide open? 10, 15 hz?

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    for those in the thread using the SVS ultra subs, what "tuning" mode were you using? Sealed? Wide open? 10, 15 hz?
    PC12 Ultra, in Full output 20 hz mode. No ports plugged.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post
    In my recent experience with a fresh pair of 15 inch SE's that I got on monday from Ascend, Audyessy works even better.
    I was not trying to shoot down any EQ algorithm in my previous email. I was saying if the EQ came back with more delay offset than what is deemed reasonable, then we may want to try something different (for instance, different location, or xover point to get rid of sub-optimal solution from EQ algorithm). One thing is for sure, if the algorithm is presented with a simpler problem, it would definitively work better. Nevertheless, one of the got-ya with EQ that works only on subwoofer is the additional latency it introduces. It manifests as delay, or phase shift. What is worse is the phase shift from pure time delay does not top out like analog filter.
    Last edited by RythmikAudio; 11-14-2008 at 09:31 PM.