Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: We really need a 200SE

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    I was hoping for the "deep/mellow" sound of the TV speakers (or my car speakers for that matter), and it's just not there.
    I really don't think you are going to get that "sound" that you are after from any center speaker, at least from our products or Paradigm -- these products are designed for a neutral / accurate response. It sounds like you might prefer something with rolled-off highs (like TV speakers) and/or accentuated mid-bass. In addition, it is my understanding that you are also running Audigy through your Onkyo -- which, theoretically, makes the in-room response of the speakers even flatter, thus making it, perhaps, even less appealing to your tastes... You might try running without the Audigy EQ just for fun.

In addition, you really shouldn't compare your TV speakers (which are stereo)... to a 5.1 center which is monaural. While they might sound better to you (probably because they are playing the source in stereo and have rolled off highs) it is an incorrect interpretation of a modern 5.1 soundtrack (image specificity will be incorrect if you are anywhere but directly on-axis). The goal is accurate reproduction of the source material with high-quality 5.1 systems. This type of sound, simply stated, might not be something you prefer...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Don't get me wrong, the sound is great on 5.1 DVD's, the main use for my "HT". I don't listen to much music, so DVD's is my main 5.1 media. I was looking/hoping for a better sound for HDTV and SDTV, but it's not a deal breaker, since my TV speakers are very good. I would think that 2 fronts and a center "should" sound better than TV speakers, even watching the weather channel (not that I'd bother to turn on the AVR for that).

You may be right, I don't really like crispy highs unless I'm listening to music, but I do like tight deep bass without a hollow sound. You'd be surprized how good the Panasonic TV speakers are. I do need to upgrade my PDR-8 sub to something more SUBstantial for a 20' x 40' x 12' space (listening ares is 20' x 20' x 12' area of that space). I'm sure 90% of the problem is acoustics of the room. There's still a lot I need to try on the AVR. I have tried Audyssey on and off and really doesn't sound much different.

If I didn't have lipsync issues with the AVR, I'd run both 5.1 and TV speakers, that creates a "perfect" soundstage (IMO), makes the dialog sound great and doesn't effect the great sound from the surrounds. I've only "played" for an hour or two, I just stated my initial impressions. The speakers are solid, finished well, and sound great for DVDs and music; I just need to work out HDTV bugs (or just leave them off for TV watching!)

Default 200SE update

After rerunning Audyssey and moving the speakers a little, I must say the 200SE's are awesome! Audyssey set them at 80 or 70 hz., I reset the fronts at full range (so I could set double bass on the AVR), and the other to 80hz. After a couple weeks with my new Onkyo 805, it blows away my old Panny XR57, lots more listening modes that all sound better. Bass response for such a small speaker is amazing, I hear deep base from the subwoofer AND the 200SE's! I have them set-up in a 20'x20' portion of a 20'x40' area, and they fill the listening area great. I never used this area for music, but now CD's and FM are played almost daily.

Thanks to all for the positive 200SE comments (that swayed me this way), and to Dave for the great discount, and continuing effort to make a top rated product!

Default upgrade to the 200se?

my htm 200s are set to 100hz, my 340se mains at 60hz 340se center at 80hz. if my subs are crossed to 80hz,wouldnt i be losing something on the surrounds if they are set to 100? if i upgraded to the 200se, would i be able to cross them at 80hz? if i was losing something between 100hz, and 80hz with the htm 200, would it be worth to get the upgrade to the 200se? could someone please explain this to me?

I have 200SE's and an 80hz X-Over works quite well for me. I had 200's (non-SE) and use to cross them at 100hz
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Quote Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post
    my htm 200s are set to 100hz, my 340se mains at 60hz 340se center at 80hz. if my subs are crossed to 80hz,wouldnt i be losing something on the surrounds if they are set to 100? if i upgraded to the 200se, would i be able to cross them at 80hz? if i was losing something between 100hz, and 80hz with the htm 200, would it be worth to get the upgrade to the 200se? could someone please explain this to me?
    As posted on AVS Forum:

Hi Warlord, I sincerely apologize for the delay in addressing your questions…

The new woofers for the 200 SE allow for a lower “Q” value, nearly a perfect .707 compared to the HTM-200 classic which has a system Q of approximately 1. This change in Q allows improved bass extension, a flatter response and more accurate transient reproduction at the expense of sacrificing a bit of warmth due to the bump in 150Hz range found in the 200 classics. That bump was due to the cabinet volume being slightly less than optimal for the woofers. The new SE woofers make good use of some advancements we developed in the past few years that allowed us to precisely optimize the woofer for the small cabinet volume as found in the HTM-200, without sacrificing efficiency.

As you can see by the attached graph, the 200 SE has about 3dB more output at 80Hz and nearly 6dB more at 30Hz. The bass roll-off of the 200 SE is shallower and will, without any doubt, provide a much more natural blend with a subwoofer. 80Hz crossover is recommended.

This can definitely benefit you… With everything crossed at 80Hz, you won't be missing anything when using the 200 SE.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Has anyone ever used the HTM-200s or SE's as in-ceiling speaders? I have a 23x33 basement great room with a theatre portion that is 23 x 14 and the remainder being a rec-room. The rears are currently BIC HT-8C and being nice...they just aren't giving me the sound that I'm looking for. The rears are 14 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the sides. I have a drop ceiling with about 2 feet clearance to the floor joists. I can't do them side mount because the left side of my theatre opens up into a bar/kitchen. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Set up.

Mains - 340SE
    Center - 340SE
    Surrounds - BIC HT-8C
    SW - BIC H-100 (eD - A5-350 on order, due end of January)
    Receiver - Yamaha RXV-2700
    DVD - Some crappy Sony 5 disc changer.
    TV - Sony KDS-R60XBR2

My pair of 200SE's arrived today, and despite the best efforts of team brown they managed to come out of the box in good condition:

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    My pair of 200SE's arrived today, and despite the best efforts of team brown they managed to come out of the box in good condition:
    Wow...team brown tried pretty hard.

So? How do they sound?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by HickoryNCeer View Post
    Has anyone ever used the HTM-200s or SE's as in-ceiling speaders? I have a 23x33 basement great room with a theatre portion that is 23 x 14 and the remainder being a rec-room. The rears are currently BIC HT-8C and being nice...they just aren't giving me the sound that I'm looking for. The rears are 14 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the sides. I have a drop ceiling with about 2 feet clearance to the floor joists. I can't do them side mount because the left side of my theatre opens up into a bar/kitchen. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
    So you would cut holes in the drop ceiling and place the 200SE's into them? Could you hang them for the ceiling?

I am guessing it would work fine, but I would call Ascend to discuss.
    -curtis