Page 71 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6667686970717273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    That has to be the most dedication I've ever seen in setting up your audio system the way you want it. Amazing! Well done sir!
    Haha. I figured I'm mounting $1,100 speakers to my wall so wanted to do it right. I got the idea in my head and had to follow through. It helps to know a shop with an industrial laser and press brake. More pics once my basement is back together.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I'm seriously considering moving my S2's into the Living Room and putting them to work for HT as well as music.
    At this point am thinking Luna's for surrounds, and moving the F12SE to the LR as well.
    Two questions, particularly for those who have their Luna's: 1) Any reason to consider towers with S2's as surrounds (instead of the Lunas)? My wife frowns on anything over about 88 dB ; 2) Assuming I go the S2 / Luna route what would be best for a center channel?
    1. I would go with Luna surrounds. Easier placement and mounting due to the front port and keyhole in the back. With any modern AVR you can compensate for any reduced efficiency

2. I went with a horizon RAAL with my Sierra-1 NRT's up front. Center channel dialog is so important in movie soundtracks. I wanted the dedicated midrange driver and RAAL tweeter for extra clarity. Again my AVR compensated for any efficiency differences. Tonaly they all blend.

I'm seriously considering moving my S2's into the Living Room and putting them to work for HT as well as music.
    At this point am thinking Luna's for surrounds, and moving the F12SE to the LR as well.
    Two questions, particularly for those who have their Luna's: 1) Any reason to consider towers with S2's as surrounds (instead of the Lunas)? My wife frowns on anything over about 88 dB ; 2) Assuming I go the S2 / Luna route what would be best for a center channel?
    Three Sienna-2s up front are excellent, and as a center is no slouch.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-19-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Jabeez,

I agree with Curtis that 3 Sierra 2s up front would be nice and Luna's as surrounds. The Sierra 2 is excelllent for dialog clarity. Just watch the Dark Knight Rises, with Bane. I couldn't figure out half of what he was saying when watching in a local theater. Listening at home everything is crystal clear.

Maybe I missed the size of your room. If you are far enough away from fronts or surrounds, then there could be a case to be made for towers up front or Sierra 2s as surrounds. Ask if your room is large enough but you are not really far away from fronts there can still be a case to be made for towers up front, even if crossing over to a subwoofer. Sometimes you need that extra output capability of the towered in the 100Hz to 500 Hz range in a large enough space, if you are interested in pressurizing things.
    Last edited by N Boros; 04-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Agree with Curtis also regarding using 3 Sierra 2's across the front. That's what I am using now and everything is crystal clear. Music, dialog, whatever, these are great speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    Agree with Curtis also regarding using 3 Sierra 2's across the front. That's what I am using now and everything is crystal clear. Music, dialog, whatever, these are great speakers.
    Same here. 3 across the front and I love it! Can't imagine anyone would be dissapointed.
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

Thanks all for the feedback. My watching (and listening) position is about 10 feet away from the TV and LCR set up. It seems S2's all across the front should fit the bill.

Looks like a trip to see Dave and Dina is in my short term future. Then again, if my last visit to San Clemente is any indication, the audition will start with towers, and everything else will pale in comparison.

Last time down I had 3 college tuitions as an excuse to not buy the towers. But with all of them graduating within the next 8 weeks, I may feel justified in taking the plunge.

Thanks again for the feedback.

T
    Looks like a trip to see Dave and Dina is in my short term future. Then again, if my last visit to San Clemente is any indication, the audition will start with towers, and everything else will pale in comparison.
    You are more than welcome to come to my place in Manhattan Beach and listen to the S2's across the front and save yourself the temptation.
    -curtis

All mounted up for surround duty on my custom pivoting brackets! I did make 1 extra set if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
    All mounted up for surround duty on my custom pivoting brackets! I did make 1 extra set if anyone is interested.

Awesome! Maybe you and Dave could work out an arrangement to sell these on the website for other Luna/Sierrra owners, although I imagine as a custom handmade piece they are not inexpensive.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables