Thread: Greetings form Oregon!

Default Greetings form Oregon!

Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest, new member here, not an owner yet...contemplating/undecided on the purchase of the Sierra 1's with the NrT upgrade or, just go with the Sierra 2's. I'm not too sure about the high crossover point (3khz)on the Sierra 2's being right in the middle of the supposedly "crucial" listening range. I also couldn't find the crossover point with the 1's w/the nRt upgrade so...or I just might be overemphasizing this...I could certainly use a little insight from the community, this would be fantastic. Great community and information here, by the way, I am happy to be here and I Thank you.

Enjoy the Music
    Last edited by LostnAmerica; 10-12-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarifying my questions.

Default Re: Greetings form Oregon!

Quote Originally Posted by LostnAmerica View Post
    Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest, new member here, not an owner yet...contemplating/undecided on the purchase of the Sierra 1's with the nRt upgrade or, just go with the Sierra 2's. I'm not too sure about the high crossover point (3khz)on the Sierra 2's
    You shouldn't be concerned with this. True ribbons have extremely small mass so they cannot go as low as domes, and thus have to be crossed over very high—this is totally normal for a ribbon tweeter.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks SunByrne, I appreciate that, do your NrT's have a (claimed) sparkle/brightness? And what amplification are you using? Thank you for your feedback.

Enjoy the Music

I'm currently running Sierra-2, previously had Sierra-1 (not nrt). I feel the the Sierra-1 has a bit more bloom in the bass, while the Sierra-2 is leaner and more articulate. For the tweeters, I feel the Raal provides much more detail and clarity than the Sierra-1. Crossover is not an issue for either speakers. Vocals sound great on both.

Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest, new member here, not an owner yet...contemplating/undecided on the purchase of the Sierra 1's with the NrT upgrade or, just go with the Sierra 2's. I'm not too sure about the high crossover point (3khz)on the Sierra 2's being right in the middle of the supposedly "crucial" listening range. I also couldn't find the crossover point with the 1's w/the nRt upgrade so...or I just might be overemphasizing this...I could certainly use a little insight from the community, this would be fantastic. Great community and information here, by the way, I am happy to be here and I Thank you.

Enjoy the Music
    I wouldn't be at all concerned about crossover points, if done right (which we are experts at) - actual crossover points have no relation to sound quality. Nearly all bookshelf speakers will have a crossover point somewhere between 1500Hz and 4kHz, always somewhere in the midrange response. If it is a properly designed crossover, it is seamless and completely inaudible....

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks SunByrne, I appreciate that, do your NrT's have a (claimed) sparkle/brightness? And what amplification are you using? Thank you for your feedback.
    Not long after I upgraded from the base Sierra-1 to the NrTs, I wrote a review:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...7400#post37400

At the time it was a NAD C740 powering them, but now I'm on a Yamaha A-S500.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Yes it does, thank you. I have read that the most audible range is usually where most cross overs ar placed and care should be taken as not to “hear” the frequency changeover or crossover I guess you’d call it.
    Thank you again David, I admire your passion and wisdom.
    Chester