Thread: Any Interest for an Ascend Tower Monitor? (aka 3-way with RAAL)

Default Any Interest for an Ascend Tower Monitor? (aka 3-way with RAAL)

I'm wondering, with all the 3-way RAAL designs cropping up like from Selah Audio, Philharmoic, and Salk Sound, is there any interest for Ascend to design a 3-way bookshelf speaker?

I assume this would alleviate any beaming issues with crossing over a woofer at 3KHz, if you can have a dedicated midrange. Hell it could simply be the Sierra Tower minus one woofer in a compact monitor. Anyone interested in such a thing?

Default Re: Any Interest for an Ascend Tower Monitor? (aka 3-way with RAAL)

I've thought about it way more than a few times while staring at my towers, but I can't see such speakers fitting into my system. I'm going with Sierra Sats for surrounds when I can afford them, and I'd assume the 3 way bookshelf would be only a couple hundred less per speaker than the towers, which is just too much for me, but it might be a good option for those that want a dedicated midrange, but can't use the towers because of their size. Many people are happy with the Sierra 2 of course, though, so hard to say if it would be worth it.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
    I'm wondering, with all the 3-way RAAL designs cropping up like from Selah Audio, Philharmoic, and Salk Sound, is there any interest for Ascend to design a 3-way bookshelf speaker?

I assume this would alleviate any beaming issues with crossing over a woofer at 3KHz, if you can have a dedicated midrange. Hell it could simply be the Sierra Tower minus one woofer in a compact monitor. Anyone interested in such a thing?
    Hmmmm... the woofer from the forthcoming Sierra Sat might work well, but this would be a rather expensive 3 way bookshelf.

There is no issue with woofer beaming in the Sierra-2. We cross the woofer lower than the frequencies where this would start to occur. That said, it would be interesting to compare a Sierra-2 to a 3-way design similar to the Sierra Sat + bass woofer...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hmmmm... the woofer from the forthcoming Sierra Sat might work well, but this would be a rather expensive 3 way bookshelf.

There is no issue with woofer beaming in the Sierra-2. We cross the woofer lower than the frequencies where this would start to occur. That said, it would be interesting to compare a Sierra-2 to a 3-way design similar to the Sierra Sat + bass woofer...
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

My bank account can't take it!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Count me in. Would like to compare it to the S2.

Quote Originally Posted by idrather View Post
    Count me in.
    Me too. Saving for new speakers and looking hard at used NrT towers if I can find some when I have all the cash, new Sierra 2, new BMR Philharmonitor. I want to try the ribbons but am on a budget. Basically the price of the RAAL towers shipped is the budget for speakers and subs for a living room 2.2 doing everything, with my priority being music.

Sierra 2 is how I'm leaning due to concerns over the BMR midrange possibly being too laid back for my tastes. No reservations about anything Ascend. Have heard the CBM-170 at a bud's and it's insanely good for the money, and the Sierra 1 in my room on my gear with my music, full range and high-passed to a good sub, and loved them.

I'll have to run whatever I get full range while I save for subs, and that's when the rest of the BMR package becomes very appealing. A taller Sierra 2 with a Luna midrange, well, thinking about it requires a towel . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Blue View Post
    I'll have to run whatever I get full range while I save for subs, and that's when the rest of the BMR package becomes very appealing. A taller Sierra 2 with a Luna midrange, well, thinking about it requires a towel . . .
    Sierra-2 perform extremely well running full range. We demo them this way at our office and I must tell you the bass is deep, tight, clean and punchy. It will surprise you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Looking forward to hearing them.