Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Default Re: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post

I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler. Also the 2 pending upgrades for the emotiva bother me as the atmos has to be done by them.
    Yes, it does cost more when needing an amp. Once you have one though, you don't need to think about purchasing another for a long time.
    -curtis

ARCAM uses Dirac, as well, from my research. However, I've seen on one or more forums that they may have an issue with their base management implementation.

I also looked at the XMC1, but after my experience with the UMC1, I'm hesitant to go that route. Do like their amps - I have both a UPA7 and UPA2.

You may want to look at Outlaw pre-pros, although I don't recall if they have room correction built in. They've recently introduced a new one, and apparently will introduce an Atmos version sometime this year. They generally have package (amp + pre-pro) deals which are in same ballpark as AVR.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take advantage of the 20% off and pick up an MRX720. Anthem has confirmed they are working on a firmware upgrade for Dolby Vision pass thru, which could be out in a month or so. My MRX510 has been trouble free, sounds great, and ARC does a great job in my room -- so, will be staying with Anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I also looked at the XMC1, but after my experience with the UMC1, I'm hesitant to go that route. Do like their amps - I have both a UPA7 and UPA2.
    The UMC-1 was quite a nightmare for many people. Emotiva learned quite a bit from that when they made the XMC-1 and it has been problem free for me. I had tons of issues with my Marantz AV7701 and I'm glad to be done with all of that.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks for the input on the XMC1, Alex. Sorry to hear about the Marantz.

I'll be honest, I was very skeptical of the XMC-1, and not happy with how Emotiva handled issues in the past. I have even been to a couple of Emotiva events here in the LA area that did nothing for my confidence in them.

That said, I have acquaintances that have XMC-1's that are at least as critical as I am, and they were happy. I have also monitored issues. After starting to experience problems with my old AVR, I decided to take the plunge.

I ordered through a fellow Ascend owner that is a dealer for Emotiva. I thought my support fears were going to come true after being told there would be a delay due to the upgraded 2.0 HDMI board being on back order...this after being assured they had all the parts.

I settled on taking delivery with the 1.4 board. Then I had an issue with my license of the full version of Dirac, but after a couple of calls, that was handled with little hassle.

After all that, I have been very happy with the performance of the XMC-1. Dirac is very good to my ears when compared to Trinnov as far as room EQ goes, but now I have more flexibility (not that I need it).

What's left is getting delivery of the upgraded HDMI board when it's suppose to be ready in July.

I am still skeptical after all I've seen from/about Emotiva over the last several years, but there is no doubt that the XMC-1 is a very nice unit, and I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Hi, Curtis.

Thanks for your inputs on the XMC1. I'm sure it sounds good - I thought the UMC1 sounded good, also. I also have one of their preamps (USP-1) and a pair of their EMD-1's that I used in my office system - no issues with either - both sound good.

Emotiva dealer? Curious, as I thought they were internet direct (used to be anyways).

I'd probably be fine with the XMC1 as an optional choice -- if the Atmos board was already available. It seems owners are generally happy with the unit. But, like you, I am skeptical of Emotiva - specifically when it comes to processors. I kept my UMC1 for several months whilst they continually promised to get it right and not start the 30 day return clock.. then, they started the return clock without informing customers...don't recall how I found out, but I did, and shipped my unit.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I thought my support fears were going to come true after being told there would be a delay due to the upgraded 2.0 HDMI board being on back order...this after being assured they had all the parts.

What's left is getting delivery of the upgraded HDMI board when it's suppose to be ready in July.

I am still skeptical after all I've seen from/about Emotiva over the last several years, but there is no doubt that the XMC-1 is a very nice unit, and I'm very happy with it.
    In regards to the 2.0 board, they were delayed because of how popular the 2.0 upgrade has been for manufacturers. The HDMI process is apparently horrible and the companies that have the biggest volume always get parts before anyone else, and they always get tested and certified before anyone else. It's been very frustrating for Emotiva as they can't depend on any of the dates they are given. Other companies have shared the same frustration. Apparently it's a big reason why so many Hi Fi companies don't get into home theater.

In regards to being skeptical, I've never had an issue. I know they've had QC problems, but they stand behind their products and take care of people. It seems like their latest iteration of products have had very few issues, except for the MC-700 which had a bug in 10% of the first run of units that made them crash. It's hard to fault them for these things with stuff like the Red Ring of Death from the Xbox 360 and the Note 7 crazyness. QC is very difficult. I do it for a living in the chemical industry and getting to six sigma operations (99.997% perfect or 1 in 1 million failures) is an insane task that many gigantic companies can't even do.

Emotiva dealer? Curious, as I thought they were internet direct (used to be anyways).

I'd probably be fine with the XMC1 as an optional choice -- if the Atmos board was already available. It seems owners are generally happy with the unit. But, like you, I am skeptical of Emotiva - specifically when it comes to processors. I kept my UMC1 for several months whilst they continually promised to get it right and not start the 30 day return clock.. then, they started the return clock without informing customers...don't recall how I found out, but I did, and shipped my unit.
    Emotiva started a dealer program about a year ago, but the prices remain the same as far as I know, so they take a big hit in profit from selling through dealers, but it increases their volume and allows them to produce cheaper at the same time, bringing profits back up.

The UMC1 was their worst nightmare. Those days are long over, but yeah, that was an event they'll never forget for sure.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    In regards to the 2.0 board, they were delayed because of how popular the 2.0 upgrade has been for manufacturers. The HDMI process is apparently horrible and the companies that have the biggest volume always get parts before anyone else, and they always get tested and certified before anyone else. It's been very frustrating for Emotiva as they can't depend on any of the dates they are given. Other companies have shared the same frustration. Apparently it's a big reason why so many Hi Fi companies don't get into home theater.

In regards to being skeptical, I've never had an issue. I know they've had QC problems, but they stand behind their products and take care of people. It seems like their latest iteration of products have had very few issues, except for the MC-700 which had a bug in 10% of the first run of units that made them crash. It's hard to fault them for these things with stuff like the Red Ring of Death from the Xbox 360 and the Note 7 crazyness. QC is very difficult. I do it for a living in the chemical industry and getting to six sigma operations (99.997% perfect or 1 in 1 million failures) is an insane task that many gigantic companies can't even do.
    Alex, when we placed the order, and specifically asked them if they had the parts and an approximate shipping time, the answer was "yes" and "about a week". When no shipping notice was sent a week later, we called and asked what was going on "we don't have the HDMI board, we should have it next week". Another week goes by and another phone call to them "we don't expect to have the board for a couple of months".

I got the unit about a four weeks after I ordered it, initially expecting it about two weeks when I did order it. All communication was initiated by me or my friend. Emotiva did nothing proactively as far as communication to me/dealer was concerned.

IMO, that is terrible customer service, and justifiably fueled my skepticism...and continues to do so.

That all said, my XMC-1 works great!
    Last edited by curtis; 06-02-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    -curtis

Sheesh, that was a really dumb move on their part. Similar stuff has happened to me in the past. Sales guys always promise the world.
    -Alex

Well, I did check with Emotiva on the XMC1 -- 6-8 weeks on the HDMI board (pre-req for Atmos upgrade). Said the Atmos upgrade would be about the same time. $499 for the HDMI, 599 for the ATMOS, discount for both at the same time to 1000. Not confirmed that it would pass Dolby Vision - said "should"....

So, about $1500 more than the mrx720 (with Anthem's current 20% off deal on MRX's.. not AVM60 unfortunately, or I'd consider that). Pulled the trigger on the MRX720 - should be here Friday. Will likely sell my MRX510 in a few weeks - once I've gotten the 720 in my system and run for a few weeks.

Next on the shopping list is my heights (or ceilings) - likely the HTM200's - fronts first, add rears later, as I can use some Def Tech 1000's I have lying around. So, probably be giving Dave or Dina a call tomorrow.

I've not decided whether to mount on the ceiling or high on the front/rear walls - from what I've read, the height route gives you 90+% of the Atmos affect, plus it's standard for DTSX, etc. so leaning heavily towards the height route. If any one has heard both layouts, opinions welcome.

Then, add the Oppo 203 and I hope I'm done for awhile......except for maybe a cartridge upgrade and a few more Symposium isolation devices on the rest of my sources. I was skeptical on these at first (like high $ cables), but these (Classic Inserts and Segue Iso) made a big difference for the better on my turntable.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 06-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.