Page 211 of 271 FirstFirst ... 206207208209210211212213214215216 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    Bikerduck says the problem followed the speakers so I don't see how it could be the room acoustics. This may seem obvious but did you remove the protective cover on the RAAL's? When I first got my Sierra 2's, I neglected to do that and was scratching my head wondering why did people rave about these speakers, especially the tweeters? Then I discovered my mistake, removed the covering, and heard why there were so many raves about them.
    I do not believe the Towers RAAL has that protective cover. I could be wrong though.
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by dtsequoia View Post
    I do not believe the Towers RAAL has that protective cover. I could be wrong though.
    There is no cover on the Tower's RAAL tweeter, it's packaged differently from the Sierra-2.

I would check your amplifier to see if it's getting warmer than usual, and I'd check your speaker connections as well as speaker cable.

If you are using a receiver, make sure room correction is off and that levels are set properly for each speaker. If you are using a classic 2 channel system, make sure all of your balance options are neutral and that your preamp is functioning properly.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Definitely recheck the connections, settings, etc., however, since the issue seems to have followed the speaker it seems that the issue is with the driver, crossover or both. Maybe a connection came loose inside. If you cannot resolve the issue by other means you might want to remove the suspect driver (RAAL tweeter or woofer) and check the connections. If those look solid the next step would be to check the connections to the crossover.

Whatever you do, if you cannot resolve it Dave will take care of you.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

They are tested before shipping but UPS is famous for throwing boxes around and flipping them end over end to make moving stuff easier. Something could of possibly gotten knocked loose in transit. Hopefully Dave can help get you fixed up without needing to ship it back.

I also noticed bad recording sounding better than they used to along with normal or good recordings having so much detail and clarity that I am noticing all kinds of things I missed on my old towers. Like a second guitar when two people are playing together before it just sounded like one guitar blurred together. I had to watch a video of Clapton unplugged because I was thinking something was off with my left right levels or timing at first because it kept sounding like there was another guitar coming out of the left channel at times. I never even realized he had someone else playing another guitar with him before, with these it is was very easy to tell. Also since we spend so much time talking about the tweeters since there is an option on that driver that I was really blown away by the midrange driver. Voices sound so natural and project out into the room so far its really incredible.
    Last edited by rneill; 02-09-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U

If he swapped the speakers and the problem followed the speaker, then it does appear to be speaker related imo. Possibly something got loose during shipping. Was there any damage on the box? Do you have a mic and REW to measure them?

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    it kept sounding like there was another guitar coming out of the left channel at times. I never even realized he had someone else playing another guitar with him before, with these it is was very easy to tell.
    I was amazed how well my Sierra-2's resolved the two guitars into separate instruments on Hey Hey. I actually tried to learn to play that song, but I was never fast enough to hit all the notes at tempo. Years later I read an interview with Clapton where he said they used two guitars on it because he never felt he mastered the song, apparently he couldn't hit all the notes at tempo either.

Big Bill made it look easy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1qtX7Mz5w

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Just like you said, those speakers are tested prior to leaving the factory so we know that they are well matched and have the expected flat frequency response. It's probably your room acoustics.
    Not the Room. It followed the speakers.

I have a call in to Ascend.
    I did some frequency sweeps and the problem seems to be between 50Hz and 80Hz and the speakers are indistinguishable
    at 10Khz. I did let my son listen to the speakers without telling him which one was suspect and he picked the problem speaker right away. I could pull the mid driver but I want to wait for Ascend to call me back first.
    Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate it.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerduck View Post
    I have a call in to Ascend.
    I did some frequency sweeps and the problem seems to be between 50Hz and 80Hz and the speakers are indistinguishable
    at 10Khz. I did let my son listen to the speakers without telling him which one was suspect and he picked the problem speaker right away. I could pull the mid driver but I want to wait for Ascend to call me back first.
    Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate it.

Donald
    Hmm. That sounds like a room mode to me, since that range is where those things are most common. I had a massive 80 Hz suckout in my room before I added my XMC-1 which corrected for it.

By the way, the mid is crossed over at 200 Hz and I forget where it crosses to the tweeter, so if your problem is that low, it would be the woofers, not the mid.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

You may want to check if the speaker is out of phase (polarity). It could be that at the shop they swap the speaker terminal caps. You can check if the speaker is out of phase with a free app for iOS or Android or just invert speaker cables at the speaker end. In my Sierra Towers and Sierra 2s the Positive (red) terminal is on the right side of the speaker looking from the back.

Check for AudioTools app
    Last edited by enricoclaudio; 02-09-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |