Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by PATB View Post
    I just placed my order for a Sierra 2EX. The lady who answered the phone was very helpful and informative. I learned about the Sierra 2EX from the Hoffman forum.

The Sierra 2EX will replace my 5-year old Epos K1s, which I bought used from my local dealer as a "place holder" until I can afford a decent speaker. Well, I couldn't really find much fault about the Epos, even after auditioning a Proac Tablette and Harbeth P3ESR before the pandemic. Having read great reviews and after much "research", I think the Sierra 2EX is the ticket for me.

I will be using the Sierra 2EX with a Rega Elex-R and a REL T5i. My only concern is that I have very limited space; the speakers will have be placed about 10" from a rear wall. I will have to make compromises but that is the price of living in the Bay Area. I am looking forward to participating in this community.
    Thanks so much for placing your order and welcome to our forum!

10" of clearance behind the speakers is plenty, especially if you will be high passing the speakers. Still, even if running them full range, 10" will not be a problem.

enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We are most pleased to publish Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements.
    Wow, you got a Klippel. Quite an acquisition. Or did you just have access to one and got to put a 2EX in it? Was this inspired by the ASR results with the Lunas/Duos, per chance? What ever happened with all that, anyway?

Regardless, the results for the S2-EX are quite compelling, particularly the horizontal dispersion—not that great horizontal dispersion is a surprise. In-room response overall outstandingly smooth, too, and great impedance results.

Also as expected, slight bowing upward of the in-room means they'll sound just a teensy touch bright to some, which I'm sure the ASR guy will say makes them terrible.

Stands up well against the competition, too. Overall a little better than what I think of as the nearest competitor in its price class, the Buchardt S400 (though the S400 is actually more expensive, especially given exchange rates). Close with the Philharmonic BMR, though the BMR spins I've seen I don't think come from an actual Klippel. Also, the BMR is physically much bigger and somewhat harder to get your hands on with the irregular shipping schedule. (Unless you want to pay a lot more for the Salk version.)

No distortion results, though?
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    the results for the S2-EX are quite compelling, particularly the horizontal dispersion—not that great horizontal dispersion is a surprise. In-room response overall outstandingly smooth, too, and great impedance results.

Also as expected, slight bowing upward of the in-room means they'll sound just a teensy touch bright to some, which I'm sure the ASR guy will say makes them terrible.

Yes, the horizontal dispersion is remarkable as to how wide and linear it remains, with no narrowing. It clearly shows just how well the RAAL ribbon blends with our EX woofer.

Those who think they can judge the “brightness” of one speaker compared to another that have dramatically differing radiation patterns by simply viewing the estimated in-room response graph would be in for a surprise if they actually spent the time to listen. We have never had a single Sierra-2EX customer comment that the speaker sounds bright, most comment that is on the warm detailed side.

I have done extensive comparisons with the 2EX compared to the Revel M106, most have found the M106 to sound brighter in comparison (including myself) This could also be due to the fact that the 2EX has considerably deeper bass extension and also more midbass so more research needs to be done on my part, but this is something I am heavily vested in.

The calculation determining EIR is heavily weighted towards the horizontal response of the speaker. With such wide horizontal dispersion, EIR will always appear to be tilted up a bit in the high frequency range (keep in mind that woofer dispersion is horizontally and vertically symmetrical)

Since vertical dispersion of the ribbon is more limited compared to a dome, the total energy released into the room is actually a bit less which isn’t represented in the EIR due to the weighting I mentioned above.

EIR works well when comparing two speakers with similar radiation patterns (for example, dome speaker vs dome speaker) but things get thrown off when we introduce a tweeter with dramatically different radiation.

It is also important to keep in mind that CEA-2034 is based on technology and research that occurred in the 80’s. It looks at only 2-axis (+/- 180 degs vertically and +/- 180 degs horizontally). Sound produced by a speaker is 3 dimensional, not 2. For example, we also hear the energy produced at every possible angle from the speaker (for example, 30 degrees vertically and 30 degrees horizontally). This energy is not measured in the CEA-2034 standards because, to be honest, it was a practical impossibility back then to measure it. We placed a speaker on a turntable vertically, rotated the speaker 360 degrees and recorded measurements at every 10 degs. We then positioned the speaker horizontally and did the same.

The NFS changes all of this as it moves the mic around the speaker in a sphere (two 3 dimensional cylinders actually) and we are able to see a much truer picture of the actual energy produced.

I have a hunch that at some point, CEA-2034 standards will be updated to reflect this new technology and thus provide a truer visualization as to correlating what we hear with what can be measured.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Those who think they can judge the “brightness” of one speaker compared to another that have dramatically differing radiation patterns by simply viewing the estimated in-room response graph would be in for a surprise if they actually spent the time to listen. We have never had a single Sierra-2EX customer comment that the speaker sounds bright, most comment that is on the warm detailed side.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I agree with you; I don't find the S2-EX to be bright.

What I was trying to say is that the ASR guy, who usually takes the measurements and looks at them before he does his subjective listening test, will interpret that measurement to mean the speakers are bright, which he says he hates, so he ultimately won't recommend them.

Unless of course they were Revels, in which case he'd swear they sound amazing.

For those who don't get what I'm aiming at, look at the measurements of the Sierra Horizon vs. the measurements for the $2500 Revel center channel. They measure quite similarly (with the exception of some low-frequency resonance). Yet somehow the Horizon is barely adequate and the Revel is sonic perfection. It's borderline comical.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I truly can't imagine anyone not enjoying the upper frequencies of any of the RAAL equipped Ascends. Nor would I think anyone would characterize them as being bright. I've tried to avoid commenting on the "reviews" at ASR, my momma told me if you can't say something nice...

What I can say is that in their price range, and well above it, I've not heard anything to rival my EXs, Dave's original measurements were clearly quite accurate, the Klippel measurements confirming so.

Jay

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I agree with you; I don't find the S2-EX to be bright.

What I was trying to say is that the ASR guy, who usually takes the measurements and looks at them before he does his subjective listening test, will interpret that measurement to mean the speakers are bright, which he says he hates, so he ultimately won't recommend them.

Unless of course they were Revels, in which case he'd swear they sound amazing.

For those who don't get what I'm aiming at, look at the measurements of the Sierra Horizon vs. the measurements for the $2500 Revel center channel. They measure quite similarly (with the exception of some low-frequency resonance). Yet somehow the Horizon is barely adequate and the Revel is sonic perfection. It's borderline comical.
    The Horizon was recommended. The Sierra 2 also got a good review. There's really no reason to be upset or have an agenda. At the end of the day all speaker reviews offer an opinion.

Another concern I had with the 2EX is that they might be too bright for me. I am very sensitive to tipped up treble, and a youtube video showing foam add-ons for RAAL tweeters to tame brightness scared me! Well, having listened to my 2EX for weeks now, I can confidently say they are not bright. The highs are extended but with a hint of warmth -- I can listen for hours.

I threw away the boxes last week, as I am 100% sure the 2EX are staying. They have the proper dimensions for my smallish room and have the sound I prefer at a price I can afford.

Exclamation Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PATB View Post
    Another concern I had with the 2EX is that they might be too bright for me. I am very sensitive to tipped up treble, and a youtube video showing foam add-ons for RAAL tweeters to tame brightness scared me! Well, having listened to my 2EX for weeks now, I can confidently say they are not bright. The highs are extended but with a hint of warmth -- I can listen for hours.

I threw away the boxes last week, as I am 100% sure the 2EX are staying. They have the proper dimensions for my smallish room and have the sound I prefer at a price I can afford.
    PATB,

Agreed! Dave's skill and finesse to integrate the RAAL and EX transducers into a homogeneous single point source of full range sound is brilliant! I'm daily "blown away" by the huge step up in Live performance the 2EX offers over the S2 room presentation...simply Breathtaking!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Hi Dave,

Can you tell us more about the Raal tweeter? How it was chosen, how it compares to the diamond tweeter, its crossover point, etc. Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonusSancti View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Can you tell us more about the Raal tweeter? How it was chosen, how it compares to the diamond tweeter, its crossover point, etc. Thanks!
    SS,

Hello and Welcome to the AA Forum!

See HERE, and HERE, and HERE! Hopefully, these post can answer most of your questions!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!