Thread: Connected PC speakers To LG LED TV -Sound quality not good

Default Connected PC speakers To LG LED TV -Sound quality not good

I have 2 Harmon/Kardon PC speakers connected to a Harmon/Kardon PC sub. There are 3 cable connections black, green & yellow. When I connect into the stereo headphone connection the sound quality is poor. It sounds like the speakers are in the background with no detail. The speakers in the LED LG TV sound much better.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance for your help
    Chops

Default Re: Connected PC speakers To LG LED TV -Sound quality not good

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I have 2 Harmon/Kardon PC speakers connected to a Harmon/Kardon PC sub. There are 3 cable connections black, green & yellow. When I connect into the stereo headphone connection the sound quality is poor. It sounds like the speakers are in the background with no detail. The speakers in the LED LG TV sound much better.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance for your help
    Chops
    Do your HK speakers have their own amp/volume control? If so then they are meant to be fed by a line output from the source, not from a variable output like a headphone connection. That is probably inadequate. See if the TV has a line out jack. If not, then turn up the TV volume all the way, and then let your HK volume control determine the loudness (just remember to turn down the TV volume if you unplug the jack).

Thanks for the suggestion it did help, however still not happy. My HK speakers do have their own amp/volume. I found the line output & it is digital. Is there some kind of converter I could get &
    any recommendations for make/model would be greatly appreciated

Tanks in advance for support & help
    Chops

My recommendation would be the Schiit Modi 2 Uber. The Modi 2 non-Uber version has only a USB connection and I would assume your TV digital output is either coax or optical, which the Uber version can handle. I have both the original version and the version 2 and both work very well. Here is a link to their product page:

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    My recommendation would be the Schiit Modi 2 Uber. The Modi 2 non-Uber version has only a USB connection and I would assume your TV digital output is either coax or optical, which the Uber version can handle. I have both the original version and the version 2 and both work very well. Here is a link to their product page:

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
    Only problem here is that it doesn't sound like the HK set has RCA inputs, just the 3.5mm aux in that seems to be wonky. I'd probably buy new speakers before buying such a fantastic DAC. He'd also need to buy a SYS or make sure the volume control on the HK system works right.

I've also had a lot of problems trying to get optical audio out of many modern TV's. Some years ago many manufacturers decided it was a great idea to disable the audio outputs when you're using an HDMI input. I don't know if this has anything to do with the latest HDMI standards, but it certainly has been aggravating. It's very hit or miss. The older Samsung models all output audio, but my Sharp TV and some of the newer Samsung ones I've tried won't output anything if HDMI inputs are used. This means you have to use the optical output of whatever device you're using, which was fine when I was only using a PS4, but it's not a workable solution for anyone using more than one device unless you want to deal with splitters, which at that point you're best off just buying a cheap receiver and using the Modi off of one of the receiver's digital outputs. It also doesn't help that optical and coax connections are rapidly disappearing from many HDMI devices and then there's all of those different dongles/streamers that people use.

With regards to the speakers, it sounds to me like there is a gain mismatch. The sub doesn't seem to like the output voltage of the TV, probably because one of them was meant for a headphone output or input. If you can post the specific model I'll look up the manual so I can see what inputs you're referring to. I used to use PC sub/satellite systems all the time when I was a kid. I owned a couple sets of the famed Klipsch Promedia systems back in the day that I was super proud of, hah.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers