Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend RAAL Tower Companion

Default Re: Ascend RAAL Tower Companion

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post

So, when I upgrade from NrTs to 2s, I guess I get to go through this again? Hmm... somehow I think it'll still be worth it.
    The RAALs are more detailed, but don't equate that to being brighter or more forward.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The RAALs are more detailed, but don't equate that to being brighter or more forward.
    I don't really attribute most of the difference between the standard Sierra-1 and the NrT to forwardness (though there is a slight difference)—I think it's the extra detail that really punishes bad recordings. So I expect the extra detail retrieved by the RAALs to require a similar adjustment on my part.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll live. I'm probably not doing the upgrade for a while anyway.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I don't really attribute most of the difference between the standard Sierra-1 and the NrT to forwardness (though there is a slight difference)—I think it's the extra detail that really punishes bad recordings. So I expect the extra detail retrieved by the RAALs to require a similar adjustment on my part.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll live. I'm probably not doing the upgrade for a while anyway.
    I went from classic CBM-170s, to classic CMT-340s, CMT-340SE's, to the Sierra-1, skipped the NrT, to the Sierra-2, and wouldn't change a thing.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I would say out of all of our speakers, our Sierra-1 do the best with poorly recorded source material but you might want to first try what others have also suggested. Personally, I love our ribbon towers with even poor source material as I do like to hear it all, the good and the bad...
    Thanks Dave. I need a really good bookshelf speaker. Don't think I will buy towers again as they are hard to move around. Although the Ascend towers are way easier to move than my RBH towers. Bookshelves and a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I went from classic CBM-170s, to classic CMT-340s, CMT-340SE's, to the Sierra-1, skipped the NrT, to the Sierra-2, and wouldn't change a thing.
    No towers in the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Thanks Dave. I need a really good bookshelf speaker. Don't think I will buy towers again as they are hard to move around. Although the Ascend towers are way easier to move than my RBH towers. Bookshelves and a sub.
    Sierra-2 or Sierra Luna since you're getting a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    No towers in the plan?
    Nope, not currently. My room would not gain enough benefit.

i have both sierra 1 and 2 and have owned nrt's and 170's.the 2's are one of the least fatiguing speakers i have ever heard or owned.the balance,detail,clarity and fullness of sound with that deep and wide imaging is what does it for me.i listen to many genres of music including a lot of metal from the more extreme side of things.you don't get much more opportunity for fatigue than some of those recordings.if you find the sierra 2 to be too revealing i have one suggestion for you.i also have a pair of carnegie acoustics csb-1's.they are a step down from the s2 in detail and bass extension and midrange detail but are still very detailed and easy to listen to and have very good imaging.they are not in production anymore but you could look for a used pair or could build a pair of gr research n1 that the carnegie was based on if you can solder.i hope it is ok for me to post that here.i just think it would fit well for what the op says he is looking for.

So, when I upgrade from NrTs to 2s, I guess I get to go through this again? Hmm... somehow I think it'll still be worth it.
    I think you will find quite the opposite actually. There are different reasons why we are able to "extract" more detail with RAAL ribbons compared to why the NrT dome is more detailed than our standard Sierra-1 tweeter. With the RAAL's - it comes down to dramatically lower moving mass, which translates to nearly no stored energy. Stored energy in this context is energy that is produced after the initial impulse - this additional energy should not be there and the lesser there is, the easier it becomes to hear all of the detail -- while at the same time, because there is less stored energy - the less fatiguing the sound becomes....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm throwing this out there. I have wanted the Natural Bamboo RAAL towers since I got my Espresso. I made the wrong decision. I am really wanting to either trade, sell and repurchase, or send them in for new cabinets. Any takers?????? I know it's petty, but the natural is what I want. Then my speakers will be perfect.