Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

I had US made Satin Expresso S-2s with a finish I knew I liked. I considered selling them and buying new S-2EXs. I considered buying the EX kit and modifying mine. In the end, I decided not to sell my S-2s (all those wanting to sell theirs can thank me for not contributing to a saturated market!), and to have Dave do the modification for me. That saved me a bit of modification hassle, but cost me time preparing for shipping and subsequent receiving. I also had to pay shipping costs, but it got me a pair of S-2EXs that are factory tested and matched to new pair spec. Ascend does not currently charge to do the mod for you - you pay for the kit and the shipping (which was a bit expensive going to them, but quite reasonable for the return leg). Maybe about +$100 compared to getting the kit and doing it yourself. Just another option for you all.
    Last edited by jimb; 09-24-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    I had US made Satin Expresso S-2s with a finish I knew I liked. I considered selling them and buying new S-2EXs. I considered buying the EX kit and modifying mine. In the end, I decided not to sell my S-2s (all those wanting to sell theirs can thank me for not contributing to a saturated market!), and to have Dave do the modification for me. That saved me a bit of modification hassle, but cost me time preparing for shipping and subsequent receiving. I also had to pay shipping costs, but it got me a pair of S-2EXs that are factory tested and matched to new pair spec. Ascend does not current charge to do the mod for you - you pay for the kit and the shipping (which was a bit expensive going to them, but quite reasonable for the return leg). Maybe about +$100 compared to getting the kit and doing it yourself. Just another option for you all.
    Do you have them back yet? Any first impressions? I’m looking at doing the same thing. Just need to get a few things figured out. I’ve got a pair of the natural USA made cabinets that I really like.

The hardest part will be the 2-3 weeks without speakers. Lol. I actually contemplated just ordering a new pair for that reason.

I do have them back, but my current use does not permit critical evaluation, nor opportunity to compare before and after very well. I will say that they are more 'neutral' to me now than before, and that the bass is more extended. Other than that, you should really consider them based on what Dave and others have described about the differences. The turn around time at Ascend is not too long, but you do have to allow time for shipping both ways.

Just received my Sierra 2-EX upgrade kit. Installation went smoothly. Directions are first rate and easy to follow. Only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a ½ inch socket. I thought the Sierra 2's were great (and they are). The addition of the upgrade kit takes them to a new and higher level! The sound is even "awesomer!" The base is noticeably deep and lower. I turned my sub's volume down a bit. When listening to music I thought I knew very well, it sounds like there are new instruments playing in the song. Subtle clarity is improved. I'm overwhelmed by the added details. Every thing Dave has said about this upgrade is true. If funds permit, I'd highly recommend doing this upgrade. I think of my speakers as "Sierra 3's" now!

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Just received my Sierra 2-EX upgrade kit. Installation went smoothly. Directions are first rate and easy to follow. Only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a ½ inch socket. I thought the Sierra 2's were great (and they are). The addition of the upgrade kit takes them to a new and higher level! The sound is even "awesomer!" The base is noticeably deep and lower. I turned my sub's volume down a bit. When listening to music I thought I knew very well, it sounds like there are new instruments playing in the song. Subtle clarity is improved. I'm overwhelmed by the added details. Every thing Dave has said about this upgrade is true. If funds permit, I'd highly recommend doing this upgrade. I think of my speakers as "Sierra 3's" now!
    Thanks for the impression on the upgrade. Has anyone else done the upgrade and comparison? Would love to hear more perspectives on the scope and degree of the changes....

Thanks for posting your thoughts and I am glad that you are enjoying your new EX's
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

From all I’ve heard the S..EX is phenomenal

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

It is phenomenal. and the enjoyment can last for hours!
    Last edited by rickm; 09-27-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks for sharing your experience installing the upgrade kit. I have a new set of Sierra 2’s and intend to upgrade by either shipping them back for the swap and new frequency read-outs, or just ordering the kits.

Can you share how long it took you to take out the crossover and woofer and make the replacements? Did you hit any obstacles in the process? If it’s not too bad I may attempt it rather than incurring the cost of shipping. Thanks.

The process is super easy, just make sure you have a plier/rachet/wrench of appropriated size and length and a short philip screw driver. I use plier and a short philip driver and is all good.