Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: **** Sierra-1 New Finishes -- The *Official Thread :)

Default Re: **** Sierra-1 New Finishes -- The *Official Thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    Pretty sweet, and I would think somewhat of a PITA to achieve efficiently.
    Ha - you have no idea
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

any updates dave?

having been sierra-less for a few weeks now, i'm starting to get a bit itchy...

Quote Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
    any updates dave?

having been sierra-less for a few weeks now, i'm starting to get a bit itchy...
    Thanks so much for your patience!!!

I have an associate at the Sierra cabinet factory right now. Regrettably, there are some slight delays --- I hope to have a thorough update by later this evening and I will post this information once I have it.

I believe piano blacks and naturals are just about ready but the premium finished units are taking a bit more time than anticipated Attached is a pic of some cherry units awaiting polishing...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

ooooo.... oooooo....

ok, seeing the cabinets makes me feel better...

looking forward to the new info...

I'm pretty disappointed that Ascend is unable to speed up the passage of time to get me my speakers sooner. What kind of fly by night company is this?

"unable to speed up the passage of time" would suggest that pj-'s tongue is firmly in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by mziegler View Post
    "unable to speed up the passage of time" would suggest that pj-'s tongue is firmly in cheek.
    ayuh, that's the way i read it too...

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed that Ascend is unable to speed up the passage of time to get me my speakers sooner. What kind of fly by night company is this?
    PJ -- I do sincerely apologize for the delays. However, I am not sure you would be correct in qualifying us as a "fly by night company" This is now our tenth year of business

Regarding the delays... This current economy has been a nightmare for the consumer electronics industry. In order to survive, manufacturers are no longer keeping stock on hand. Typically, when we place an order for Sierra-1 cabinets, our cabinet assembly factory orders the bamboo from our bamboo supplier. The bamboo supplier immediately ships to our cabinet assembly factory and production of the cabinets begin. Lead time during regular times is typically 60-days.

Now, in this new economy -- the bamboo supplier keeps their stock levels very low in order to keep expenses down and reserve precious cash. We ordered 1000 Sierra-1 cabinets (that is a LARGE order) and as you can imagine, requires many tons of bamboo. The bamboo supplier has no where near this level of inventory on hand so they must acquire the raw materials and then manufacture the paneling. Their suppliers are also keeping low inventory levels so the process trickles down and the delays accumulate.

To further complicate matters, many companies now want cash or deposits up front for large orders because they have been stuck with producing large purchase orders that never ship because the company ordering the goods has closed shop... We have even been asked for pre-pay deposits on some of our accessories now because we order those in large quantities. For example, both our SP-30 stands and Omnimount brackets have been out-of-stock for many weeks now simply because we order in large quantities and the suppliers start production only when we place the purchase order.

We have been privileged with our various overseas suppliers, allowing us to keep our credit terms intact because they consider us a sure thing and we always pay our bills However, some of the vendors that supply our vendors are not so generous so to produce our large cabinet orders, they now require deposits for some of the raw-materials used -- thus adding additional delays as our vendors must also come up with the cash without asking us for it.

And finally, in order to keep our own costs down - we are at least trying to ship both the new finishes and previous finishes together in the same shipment. This can save us as much as $10 - $12 per speaker, and considering the large PO, it can ultimately save us $10 - $12K -- and savings to us means savings to you

These new premium finishes are complicated -- if these cabinets were simply MDF with a veneer, we would have had them a month ago. What we are doing here has NEVER been done before. Mass produced, custom stained high-gloss bamboo loudspeaker enclosures. In the audio world, these speakers should realistically command $3K - $4K /pair. However, because we are producing such a large quantity of cabinets and hey, this is Ascend Acoustics, we are exceedingly PROUD to be offering these at less than $1K / pair. Simply unheard of....

All that being said, I am now considering breaking the shipment up into (2) shipments (at considerable expense) in order to get piano blacks and naturals here sooner, for no reason other than to make our customers happy.

I am truly sorry for the delays and please understand that so much of this is out of our hands. Blame this economy but understand that suppliers are doing what they need to in order to get by.

However, it is important for you to realize exactly what you are getting with your purchase and the incredible value and uniqueness it represents. For example, here is a price of stained bamboo furniture (not high-gloss) and not even 100% bamboo. http://www.bambooshowroom.com/IVG2/N...ctID-61019.htm Look at the price... And it is just a piece of furniture.

Honestly, we are doing the very best we can and thanks for your understanding.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mziegler View Post
    After re-reading it, I too agree. Definitely tongue-in-cheek -- but my previous post is, nevertheless, a good look into the industry the way it stands right now. A worthwhile post even if PJ was teasing us
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My bad after rereading the post by pj it appears in jest. Previous post deleted. But I still feel Ascend (Dave) has among the best service and communication in the industry. It does not hurt to have incredible products as well.

When I ordered my Piano Black Sierras there was a slight mix up in the order. Dave made this right in a big way and has kept me updated as to what was going on. I have never had to call or e-mail Dave saying "hey whats going on....". On top of all this the Sierras are still putting a big smile on my face everytime I listen to music or play a movie.

Bill