Page 246 of 271 FirstFirst ... 241242243244245246247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Are the Ascend Towers designed to have the rear port stuffed if need be to reduce boominess if placed in "non-ideal" locations? Near sidewalls or room boundaries for example.
    Seeking knowledge.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Are the Ascend Towers designed to have the rear port stuffed if need be to reduce boominess if placed in "non-ideal" locations? Near sidewalls or room boundaries for example.
    I haven't heard of that being recommended. Will you be crossing over to use a sub? If so, an 80hz crossover should help with that. Are you using room-correction software such as Audyssey? That could also help.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I haven't heard of that being recommended. Will you be crossing over to use a sub? If so, an 80hz crossover should help with that. Are you using room-correction software such as Audyssey? That could also help.
    Hi.

Yes, I'm crossing over to a pair of subs that play flat down to 20hz but, because they are placed quite well, I get no nasty peaks or dips with those.
    I'm using an Anthem STR Pre-Amp that uses ARC.

I just wanted to be able to play the towers without subs but my current speakers play down to 30hz and it causes boominess that even ARC struggles cope with!
    Seeking knowledge.....

I just wanted to be able to play the towers without subs but my current speakers play down to 30hz and it causes boominess that even ARC struggles cope with!
    That's because the position of your towers forces your towers' woofers to be out of position in the room. That "boominess" is caused by room modes. The lower the frequency, the harder to tame. Which is why having separate subs in a room is such a good idea. That is, put the subs where they respond best to the room they are in, and your L/R/C mains where you need the sound stage to be.

And yes, I understand why you don't want to do that. Why you want to go with just the towers without subs. But the laws of physics aren't going to change because we don't like how they create room modes. Sorry.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Sparky -
    is your room acoustically treated? Bass traps may help to tame the boominess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    That's because the position of your towers forces your towers' woofers to be out of position in the room. That "boominess" is caused by room modes. The lower the frequency, the harder to tame. Which is why having separate subs in a room is such a good idea. That is, put the subs where they respond best to the room they are in, and your L/R/C mains where you need the sound stage to be.

And yes, I understand why you don't want to do that. Why you want to go with just the towers without subs. But the laws of physics aren't going to change because we don't like how they create room modes. Sorry.
    Ah yes, so selling my existing towers in favour of say, the Sierra Towers which also play quite low will be completely pointless as I will still suffer the same fate?

Or....does the type of port make a difference? Front, rear or transmission line?

I envy you American guys n gals with your large rooms!
    Seeking knowledge.....

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Sparky -
    is your room acoustically treated? Bass traps may help to tame the boominess.
    I'm afraid not bud. It's a living room first and foremost (as my wife keeps saying) so I'll have to do without.

I might possibly get away with a first reflection panel but definitely NOT bass traps!!
    Seeking knowledge.....

I'm afraid not bud. It's a living room first and foremost (as my wife keeps saying) so I'll have to do without.

I might possibly get away with a first reflection panel but definitely NOT bass traps!!
    Bummer!

Ah yes, so selling my existing towers in favour of say, the Sierra Towers which also play quite low will be completely pointless as I will still suffer the same fate?
    Actually, no - you would not suffer the same fate. Different speakers have different bass responses, regardless of how deep the speakers play. There are a lot of factors that come into play, the rolloff rate of the speaker, the "Q", the linearity. In the case of our Sierra Towers, they have a very natural bass roll off, even if placed close to walls, they will not sound boomy. In fact, in thousands of pairs sold - regardless of the room or placement, I don't think we have ever had a customer comment about them sounding boomy. We actually have them positioned about 6" away from the wall in our demo room at the office, and this is not a large room.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Morning everyone!
    I just placed my order for the Sierra Towers w/ RAAL upgrade!
    Over the past few weeks Dave has been right there to answer all my questions, and provide some good suggestions. You cannot ask for better customer service than that! 👍
    From his email last evening, it looks like my Black Matte Sierra's will be ready in about two weeks. 🍻