Page 104 of 112 FirstFirst ... 99100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1117

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I am also looking for a receiver recommendation. I am planning on a 5.1 with Luna Duo center, Luna L/R, and RSL in-ceilings for surrounds. Mainly HT use, but most use will be at relatively lower volumes... my toddler daughter's bedroom is behind the wall the TV/LCR will be on (speakers on shelves, not mounted). Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I've had good experiences with denon receivers lately. IMO they offer a lot of features for the money. I would recommend the X3500 which should be on close out since it's last years model and is the lowest model to offer pre amp outs if you want to upgrade to a separate amp in the future as well as Audyssey XT32 which does much better on the subwoofer channel. I have the previous model x3400 and have been very happy with it.

If she's using the Luna's for 2CH only, I wouldn't recommend at HT receiver at all. She'd be spending money for stuff she's not going to use. I'll third the Outlaw RR2160 suggestion or maybe a Cambridge receiver such as the AXR85, or an integrated such as Cambridge or NAD. Both would make good CD player options as well, or possibly an Emotiva ERC-4 CD player. I'm currently using an older NAD L53 DVD Receiver in my office system with a pair of Dynaudio Emit 10's and this system kicks a$$!

Quote Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post
    I've had good experiences with denon receivers lately. IMO they offer a lot of features for the money. I would recommend the X3500 which should be on close out since it's last years model and is the lowest model to offer pre amp outs if you want to upgrade to a separate amp in the future as well as Audyssey XT32 which does much better on the subwoofer channel. I have the previous model x3400 and have been very happy with it.
    I agree with you about the Denon receiver. It can be purchased for about half the price of the Outlaw stereo receiver and even has the highest level of Audyssey, Apple Airplay and can power a second zone. Sure, most of the additional features might go unused, but from what I see it has more features for less money.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...s/1.html#!more

If none of those extra features are of interest, then just get a more baseline receiver for about 20% of the cost of the Outlaw stereo receiver.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

Default Re: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

At the cost of sounding a snob, I do not think that low cost receiver would do justice to the Luna.

Plus, if the goal is a 2-ch system, why spend money on features (and whimpy amps with an overtaxed and designed for cost power supply) you'll never use?

Accessory4less is a great option, but then why not one of their 2-ch amps? There are many at a very affordable price. Any of them I bet would run circles in 2-ch around a receiver in the same price range:

https://www.accessories4less.com/?ty...tore_price.asc

Keep in mind that with AVRs, you aren't necessarily paying for those features you might not use.

These days, way more AVRs are made and sold compared to stereo receivers, integrated amps, and dedicated stereo amplifiers. Due to intense competition in a shrinking market, along with significant 'economies of scale,' AVRs can pack in features without raising price.

In fact, sometimes the more expensive stereo receiver from certain mainstream brands is simply the AVR with things *removed.* Yet they charge *more* for said receiver, because they make fewer, manufacturing costs per unit are higher, and because they can get away with charging more.

Some people are willing to pay more for the cleaner looks, arguably improved looks, or the simplicity of use of a stereo receiver or integrated amp vs a multi-channel AVR.

But they're often getting less, not more, for their money.

To give examples, look at the Yamaha RX-S600, 601, 602 slimline AVRs - they're just lower-powered versions of some of their entry level AVRs. But you pay considerably more, not less, to get a smaller chassis with lower power.

Their stereo receiver lineup costs more than most of their entry level AVRs, but has far fewer features and are no better at powering two speakers.

The Marantz slimline AVRs are the same way as the slimline Yamahas - you're paying more, not less, for the lower-powered amp section in a smaller chassis.

Same with Onkyo. They have a current stereo receiver model right now that, if you look inside, you will see it's nothing but one of their AVRs with a lot of the circuitry uninstalled. But is it cheaper because of all the uninstalled circuitry? Nope.
    Last edited by Beave; 08-15-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Many modern AVRs skimp on their power sections and can't come anywhere near meeting their power ratings when all channels are driven (which isn't as bad as it sounds, as real-world material rarely if ever demands high power on all channels at once).

But for powering two channels, most AVRs just a step above the cheapest entry level ones have more than enough reserves.

You could always check out usaudiomart.com or audigon for used AVRs, receivers, separates that match your budget. For example, there's a 2nd gen Anthem on usaudiomart.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...int-condition/

Any updates on the Luna Center? I recently joined the ascend fan club after i picked up a second hand pair of the Sierra RAAL towers... Wow!!

Looking forward to adding the Luna Duo as the Horizon is just too big for my space.

I thought Dave was going to give Duo its own thread?