Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    For home theater, we always recommend using a subwoofer - even if you have large full range tower speakers. The EX upgrade does more than just improve bass - overall dynamics is considerably better and this is an important characteristic for home theater. If the upgrade is within your budget, I highly recommend it.
    Thanks...I ordered the upgrade kit.

Hi Dave,

Just now reading about the Sierra 2EX upgrade. I currently have Sierra 2’s with a Horizon Raal center. Would the upgraded Sierra 2EX’s be a good match with the Horizon Raal center? The increased dynamics are of interest to me for home theater, but I want to confirm that the front 3 speakers will provide a consistent soundstage for dialogue and panned effects.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    Thanks...I ordered the upgrade kit.
    Btw - any plans for a similar upgrade for horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    Btw - any plans for a similar upgrade for horizon?
    And, any plans for an EX upgrade for the Sierra-1 NrT's!?!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post

Ted
    There’s a kit for Sierra 1 to Sierra 2EX. And if you want to keep the NRT instead of going to RAAL, I believe I saw Dave put together a kit for someone else in that situation, though it’s not available online.

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    There’s a kit for Sierra 1 to Sierra 2EX. And if you want to keep the NRT instead of going to RAAL, I believe I saw Dave put together a kit for someone else in that situation, though it’s not available online.
    Thanks RMW, I read of the same situation. I've already asked Dina to get a quote for me (EX kit w\crossover for NrT users), as I plan to keep my S-1 NrT speakers!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post

Ted
    If you mean to keep the NrT dome and use the EX woofer, we already have a design for this and the customer absolutely we made this for loves the speakers. I don't know if he is a forum member, if he is -- hopefully he will post something. That said, yes - we can do this.

If you want to convert Sierra-1 NrT to Sierra-2EX, you just need to order the Sierra-1 -> Sierra-2EX kits.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If you mean to keep the NrT dome and use the EX woofer, we already have a design for this and the customer absolutely we made this for loves the speakers. I don't know if he is a forum member, if he is -- hopefully he will post something. That said, yes - we can do this.

If you want to convert Sierra-1 NrT to Sierra-2EX, you just need to order the Sierra-1 -> Sierra-2EX kits.
    Thanks so much Dave (I pick door #1)! I just sent an e-mail to you to get some questions answered!!

Ted

I had US made Satin Expresso S-2s with a finish I knew I liked. I considered selling them and buying new S-2EXs. I considered buying the EX kit and modifying mine. In the end, I decided not to sell my S-2s (all those wanting to sell theirs can thank me for not contributing to a saturated market!), and to have Dave do the modification for me. That saved me a bit of modification hassle, but cost me time preparing for shipping and subsequent receiving. I also had to pay shipping costs, but it got me a pair of S-2EXs that are factory tested and matched to new pair spec. Ascend does not currently charge to do the mod for you - you pay for the kit and the shipping (which was a bit expensive going to them, but quite reasonable for the return leg). Maybe about +$100 compared to getting the kit and doing it yourself. Just another option for you all.
    Last edited by jimb; 09-24-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    I had US made Satin Expresso S-2s with a finish I knew I liked. I considered selling them and buying new S-2EXs. I considered buying the EX kit and modifying mine. In the end, I decided not to sell my S-2s (all those wanting to sell theirs can thank me for not contributing to a saturated market!), and to have Dave do the modification for me. That saved me a bit of modification hassle, but cost me time preparing for shipping and subsequent receiving. I also had to pay shipping costs, but it got me a pair of S-2EXs that are factory tested and matched to new pair spec. Ascend does not current charge to do the mod for you - you pay for the kit and the shipping (which was a bit expensive going to them, but quite reasonable for the return leg). Maybe about +$100 compared to getting the kit and doing it yourself. Just another option for you all.
    Do you have them back yet? Any first impressions? I’m looking at doing the same thing. Just need to get a few things figured out. I’ve got a pair of the natural USA made cabinets that I really like.

The hardest part will be the 2-3 weeks without speakers. Lol. I actually contemplated just ordering a new pair for that reason.