Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by brasewel View Post
    I'm seriously contemplating getting the upgrade kit. I bought my Sierra-1s used from someone else with the NRT upgrade. I'm hoping I don't have to make any modifications. I have the Piano black so would hate to scuff it up.
    Do you guys take back the old tweeters, crossover and drivers?
    Yes -- we still do take back the old parts for some credit. However, this program will expire soon.

See the attached document for pricing info.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by brasewel View Post
    I'm seriously contemplating getting the upgrade kit. I bought my Sierra-1s used from someone else with the NRT upgrade. I'm hoping I don't have to make any modifications. I have the Piano black so would hate to scuff it up.
    Do you guys take back the old tweeters, crossover and drivers?
    Hey!

I did just the same thing! My NrTs were bought used, and I then bought the upgrade kit. It's easy to install and totally worth it

IMG_3720-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CURRENT SETUP:
    JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds and sub
    =============================================

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yes -- we still do take back the old parts for some credit. However, this program will expire soon.

See the attached document for pricing info.
    Noticed the pricing has gone up since this was posted. Does this mean the old parts credit is no longer valid as well? Was contemplating upgrading my NrTs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomName View Post
    Noticed the pricing has gone up since this was posted. Does this mean the old parts credit is no longer valid as well? Was contemplating upgrading my NrTs soon.
    We are presently still taking back the old parts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

This just sounds so sexy....lol
    I have the older Sierra1 cabinets myself, I know cuz I've been in there, and saw the black mesh.....don't ask why, it's a secret....to everyone but my neighbors...and my bloodied nephew!
    I don't foresee an issue if I do this though, I have tools and some skillz.

Still lovin' my Original Sierras though, just busted them out after a 2 year hiatus, and they sound fabulous, so this will have to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I added some scuff marks around the woofer openings on my natural cabinets. Not overly noticeable but it was aggravating when it happened. I just recently put the grilles on, having spent the majority of the last 7 years in the shipping box. Can't see the scuffs now!
    As for sanding: before starting that procedure it is advisable to remove the tweeter, crossover and insulation. Vacuum/wipe the cabinets when the operation is finished.
    How did you expand the hole? I'm just getting back to this project after have the parts here for a few months and need about 1/16" more woofer reveal. Would blue painter's tape mask off well enough for me to use my Dremel or should I pay a woodworker to router it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    How did you expand the hole? I'm just getting back to this project after have the parts here for a few months and need about 1/16" more woofer reveal. Would blue painter's tape mask off well enough for me to use my Dremel or should I pay a woodworker to router it out?
    I started with some sandpaper by hand, then switched to one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-1...8985/203459839

The wheel actually created a taper of the opening so the woofer flange fit in the top of the opening but not all the way down. I ended up carving out the remainder with a utility knife. Not the best way to do it but I was impatient and aggravated so nothing was going to stop me. The wheel was the culprit for the scuffs, or maybe it was my inability to control it!

I used a hand drill, but if you have a drill press you could simply set the depth and move the cabinet around the wheel. Should be able to control the motion better that way.

Edit: The wheel I linked to is similar to the one I meant to reference, which is used with a rotary drill.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-10-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I used a Dremel with the sandpaper disk, worked really great. I just followed around the woofer opening without much pressure and it only took a few minutes per cabinet.
    Jeff

There you go! I do not own a Dremel(Darn pricey little attachments), but if you have one already it sounds like a no brainer.

Jeff, I just realized I brought my -2's over your place in October. Sheesh....time flies!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-10-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Fantastic, thank you for sharing that.