Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Default Re: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    If Curtis isn't able to help you with miniDSP products, I can.

I use a Flex in my HT system, mainly for loading ezBEQ filters and integrating my Crowson tactile devices. I let my AVM90 handle the subs (eq, integration, x-over, etc.)

When I had a separate 2 channel system, I also used a Flex in this system. I ran LR outputs from my processor (Rogue RP5) to the Flex, and then outputs 1 & 2 to amp L&R, output 3 to sub 1, output 4 to sub 2. In the Flex, I did all the bass management & sub integration (along with REW+UMIK1). I also had 4 presets in the Flex, 2.1 with a house curve, 2.1 with bass eq'ed flat, 2.0 with bass EQ'ed, 2.0 w/o EQ. Worked great.

Curtis - I just looked at the manual for his sound card. It looks like the center/sub jack on the card carries both signals and one would use a y-splitter to connect to center & sub jack on receiver. So, can have both AFAIK.
    racrawford is MUCH more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to miniDSP.

Yeah...when I went to bed last night I had a "duh" moment on the center/sub out thing.
    -curtis

I actually wanted to come back to my original question about what bass management option might be best for my Sierra-1 v2s paired with a sub (mine is an SVS SB-1000 Pro). Anyone out there with Sierra + 2.1 setup experience?

Since my PC soundcard can do a crossover setting (completely adjustable), should I set that at 80hz or something similar to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the mid-bass a tad (or so the theory goes)...

... OR should I just forget the crossover bass management stuff and simply adjust the lowpass frequency on my sub to try and match the natural falloff of the Sierra's? (I plan on getting a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic to do EQ on my PC anyway, so I imagine with that mic there's a way I can probably find the exact falloff of the Sierra's bass extension in my room and match up the sub pretty tightly.)

This is all for a nearfield setup in a small office, and my sub is right in front of my feet near the wall. So I'm not exactly cranking the power to these bookshelves like you might in a larger room sitting further away. (I do sometimes listen fairly loud though.)
    Last edited by jshow; 05-22-2024 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jshow View Post
    I actually wanted to come back to my original question about what bass management option might be best for my Sierra-1 v2s paired with a sub (mine is an SVS SB-1000 Pro). Anyone out there with Sierra + 2.1 setup experience?

Since my PC soundcard can do a crossover setting (completely adjustable), should I set that at 80hz or something similar to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the mid-bass a tad (or so the theory goes)...

... OR should I just forget the crossover bass management stuff and simply adjust the lowpass frequency on my sub to try and match the natural falloff of the Sierra's? (I plan on getting a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic to do EQ on my PC anyway, so I imagine with that mic there's a way I can probably find the exact falloff of the Sierra's bass extension in my room and match up the sub pretty tightly.)

This is all for a nearfield setup in a small office, and my sub is right in front of my feet near the wall. So I'm not exactly cranking the power to these bookshelves like you might in a larger room sitting further away. (I do sometimes listen fairly loud though.)
    There really is no right or wrong with this. I would start with 80Hz and if the speakers and sub blend seamlessly, you are good to go. You can also try a lower crossover frequency - whichever sounds best to you. Since you are nearfield, it is highly unlikely you would be causing the woofer any stress, but to achieve a seamless blend with a sub - you do need to appropriately high pass the speakers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com