Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Default Re: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    If Curtis isn't able to help you with miniDSP products, I can.

I use a Flex in my HT system, mainly for loading ezBEQ filters and integrating my Crowson tactile devices. I let my AVM90 handle the subs (eq, integration, x-over, etc.)

When I had a separate 2 channel system, I also used a Flex in this system. I ran LR outputs from my processor (Rogue RP5) to the Flex, and then outputs 1 & 2 to amp L&R, output 3 to sub 1, output 4 to sub 2. In the Flex, I did all the bass management & sub integration (along with REW+UMIK1). I also had 4 presets in the Flex, 2.1 with a house curve, 2.1 with bass eq'ed flat, 2.0 with bass EQ'ed, 2.0 w/o EQ. Worked great.

Curtis - I just looked at the manual for his sound card. It looks like the center/sub jack on the card carries both signals and one would use a y-splitter to connect to center & sub jack on receiver. So, can have both AFAIK.
    racrawford is MUCH more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to miniDSP.

Yeah...when I went to bed last night I had a "duh" moment on the center/sub out thing.
    -curtis

I actually wanted to come back to my original question about what bass management option might be best for my Sierra-1 v2s paired with a sub (mine is an SVS SB-1000 Pro). Anyone out there with Sierra + 2.1 setup experience?

Since my PC soundcard can do a crossover setting (completely adjustable), should I set that at 80hz or something similar to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the mid-bass a tad (or so the theory goes)...

... OR should I just forget the crossover bass management stuff and simply adjust the lowpass frequency on my sub to try and match the natural falloff of the Sierra's? (I plan on getting a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic to do EQ on my PC anyway, so I imagine with that mic there's a way I can probably find the exact falloff of the Sierra's bass extension in my room and match up the sub pretty tightly.)

This is all for a nearfield setup in a small office, and my sub is right in front of my feet near the wall. So I'm not exactly cranking the power to these bookshelves like you might in a larger room sitting further away. (I do sometimes listen fairly loud though.)
    Last edited by jshow; 05-22-2024 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jshow View Post
    I actually wanted to come back to my original question about what bass management option might be best for my Sierra-1 v2s paired with a sub (mine is an SVS SB-1000 Pro). Anyone out there with Sierra + 2.1 setup experience?

Since my PC soundcard can do a crossover setting (completely adjustable), should I set that at 80hz or something similar to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the mid-bass a tad (or so the theory goes)...

... OR should I just forget the crossover bass management stuff and simply adjust the lowpass frequency on my sub to try and match the natural falloff of the Sierra's? (I plan on getting a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic to do EQ on my PC anyway, so I imagine with that mic there's a way I can probably find the exact falloff of the Sierra's bass extension in my room and match up the sub pretty tightly.)

This is all for a nearfield setup in a small office, and my sub is right in front of my feet near the wall. So I'm not exactly cranking the power to these bookshelves like you might in a larger room sitting further away. (I do sometimes listen fairly loud though.)
    There really is no right or wrong with this. I would start with 80Hz and if the speakers and sub blend seamlessly, you are good to go. You can also try a lower crossover frequency - whichever sounds best to you. Since you are nearfield, it is highly unlikely you would be causing the woofer any stress, but to achieve a seamless blend with a sub - you do need to appropriately high pass the speakers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Any ETA on if/when Sierra-1-V1 upgrade kits will be available? ie V1 --> V2

Ascend Acoustics upgrades.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Any ETA on if/when Sierra-1-V1 upgrade kits will be available? ie V1 --> V2
    Based on what Dave said back in post #57, we may indeed be approaching that time frame. I was going to wait until after the calendar flipped over to August to ask.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT1; Sierra-LXs in study; S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom; S-1 NrTs in dining room; S-1s at work; HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

The Sierra-1V2 upgrade kit is now on the website for ordering. We haven't yet had the free time needed to get a picture up, but that will be taken care of soon.

Thanks for everyone's patience. We have been nonstop busy for several months now.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The Sierra-1V2 upgrade kit is now on the website for ordering. We haven't yet had the free time needed to get a picture up, but that will be taken care of soon.

Thanks for everyone's patience. We have been nonstop busy for several months now.
    Hooray! Just put in my order.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT1; Sierra-LXs in study; S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom; S-1 NrTs in dining room; S-1s at work; HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.