Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker cables for ELX ribbon

Default Re: Speaker cables for ELX ribbon

I have been extremely happy with Anticables. I have the Level 2.1 and find they sound fantastic. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by laidbach View Post
    Quick update on the cable matter:

Replaced the Transparent Wave with a pair of Belden 5T00UP. This is a 10 AWG stranded copper conductor cable, 15ft in length per channel (in my case), with resistance rated at 0.0034Ω/m. Capacitance 85pF/m. Inductance 0.49μH/m. And about $10/m from Blue Jeans Cable, unterminated.

First, the changes in sound. In short, a very noticeable and wholesome improvement very much across the board. Couldn’t be happier. I feel the ELX towers are finally showing their full character.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting this. I’ve come to think this is the result of a large number of small changes in amplitude that, taken together, effect a bigger change in overall presentation.

Using the spreadsheet contained in the link below from Benchmark, one can start to see the multitude of amplitude variations in the frequency response that all together alter how the system sounds.

Audio Myth - "Damping Factor Isn't Much of a Factor" - Benchmark Media Systems

Although I don’t have any data on the electrical measurements of the Transparent cable, one can assume that resistance will be proportionally higher than the Belden (14 AWG vs 10 AWG) and inductance potentially a lot higher, considering the presence of the “network” assembly on the cable itself.

In the end, what seems to have happened after swapping out the cables is that a whole lot of different frequencies in the audible range were boosted by up to 0.2dB or more. I believe this is what’s behind the difference that I’m hearing - a lot of small changes all acting together.

Anyway, hope this helps. I’m very pleased with how this has turned out. If you’re thinking about cables, I’d say get a thick cable, properly terminated, and as short as you can. All this should cost you just a modest amount and make a meaningful improvement to the way your amp and speakers play with each other.
    Did you not read anything that Dave wrote? Any differences in cables are barely measurable and completely inaudible. I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but it is a disservice to others to make outlandish claims about performance gains on a forum for speakers that are designed and optimized based on scientific data. Dave is an incredibly skilled, capable, and intelligent engineer - he knows what he is talking about.

tend to agree with what you say, reforminded, on cable claims (and definitely agree with your comments about Dave). However, perhaps that "network" assembly on the cable does more harm than good; hence, eliminating it resulted in an audible improvement. The poster isn't touting high priced/exotic cables - he/she basically replaced high price cables (Transparent) with reasonably-priced/well-made cables (Blue Jeans Cables). I, too, use BJC speaker cables for my mains/center (Monoprice for the other channels). I also use BJC (and Audiosensibility for vinyl setup) RCA cables and Zeskit Maya 8K HDMI.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD