Thread: Help choosing a power amp to run with my new Sierra LX speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Help choosing a power amp to run with my new Sierra LX speakers

Personally, I'd buy something newer than a 1980's class a/b amp, be it either class a/b or class d. With an older amp, I'd be concerned it would/may soon need work (e.g. capacitor replacement).

Nothing wrong with today's class D amps. I use one for my center + surrounds + 4 ATMOS. Center is ~280 wpc, rest ~140 wpc. Look at Buckeye amps or VTV (where I purchased mine, Pascal modules) amps for class D options. The new Purifi modules are supposed to be the best of what's available today (Purifi, then Pascal, then Hypex).

I currently have my LX in the office, driving them with a cheapo FXAudio amp. One of these days, I may swap it for the other VTV amp I have (4 channel, Pascal modules, 140 wpc) but thinking of sending it in to be updated to 2 channel (280 wpc) in the near future. Not that all that power is needed.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

What racrawford65 said.

I've been researching the amp question on breaks while I tear apart and rebuild my listening room (which has turned into a major renovation project, as often happens). From everything I can tell, modern Class D amps are the closest thing we have to the proverbial "straight wire with gain". Difficult to drive speakers don't bother them, they have plenty of power, and run so cool some people can't tell that they are actually on, and are super quiet.

I've got a Buckeye 3 channel on my list. After the HVAC ducting gets fixed. If that happens in my lifetime. ;-)
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

I also agree with racrawford65.

I have an old ATI 1505 that used for a long time, I bought it used 15+ years ago. It was 5+ years old when I bought it. It served me well a long time.

Last year I bought a VTV amp, the front channels are Purifi modules (1ET400A modules about 150-180wpc)), the surrounds are Hypex. Works great. To my ear, it seems a bit cleaner than the old ATI. Cleaner or not, it drives the LX's louder than I need.

I still have the old ATI and will eventually send it to ATI for service/checkup, keep it as a spare or sell it.
    -curtis

I went from an early 1990’s vintage Superphon DM200 that I thought was awesome. But I got into an upgrade bug and went to an Eversolo A8 streamer/preamp + a Mini GaN5. That combo sounded great, but I needed an amp for a secondary system. I purchased an Orchard Audio Duo (GaN) amp and it was another jump up from the Mini GaN5.