Quote Originally Posted by Jason08 View Post
Thanks so much for your thoughts, martinm0.

I purchased an open box Denon X3800H from Adorama for $930. It was an improvement over the Yamaha TSR-700. However, I still feel like the sound is missing depth. Audyssey room correction helps but still lacking. I've considered adding an Emotiva BasX A3. I think my room is a big problem: it's an open-concept apartment with high ceilings and mostly hard surfaces.

I'm wondering if I should return the Denon X3800H and look for a used high-end receiver locally. I really have no idea what to look for, though. I'm only running a 3.1 system; future expansion possible to 5.2 at the most.

With the X3800H, I can upgrade to Dirac down the road.

EDIT:

Found these locally:
Anthem MRX720 $900
NAD T748 $200
You are most welcome! My space might be similar to yours - a large open concept ranch, where the room is 30x20 but opens up into a kitchen and dining area, as well as some cutouts to hallways. Ceilings are high, and one wall is all glass sliders, though there is carpet.

Regarding the Denon you bought, I really wish I could give you an authoritative response that is a yay or nay on it, but on paper it has plenty of power and all the typical items you would ever need in your AVR. Keep in mind I even added the very powerful Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 stereo amp (300w/ch at 8 ohms), but the sounds signature from the receiver never changed. I also run a large subwoofer with the S2s crossed over at 80Hz, so in theory I had all the power I needed without the external amp (and even adding the amp did not change things dramatically).

I have not yet experienced the Anthem products, but with several models of Denon and one Marantz AVR, I feel like I would say if you can swing picking up the used Anthem, do it and see how it compares. I would think it would be better than the Denon you picked up, so while the Anthem is used and can't be returned, I expect it to be better overall for the speakers.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. The speakers really great. I wish I had tested the S2s with the NAD before I did the upgrade to S2-EX v2 so I could give you a more like for like experience.