Thread: Am I crazy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Am I crazy?

Ok, I've pulled them out 2' and I do feel like the bass is a bit smoother, but now I'm hearing more aggressive highs from the cymbals, I'm not sure if it's overall better or not, but either way I can't keep them here so I'm not totally sure what the point of trying this is?

Edit: ok, Dave said use the MCACC to adjust channel levels but not the built in EQ stuff since it's not always very good - I thought that was happening when in "Pure Direct" mode but that defeats channel adjustments, going into "Direct" bypasses all EQ stuff but does keep the channel levels - immediately made a huge difference going back to Dr. Strange, I feel much better already. I think I may be able to use this Direct mode to change the volume levels a bit and that will resolve my movie issues! I think I'm going to give my ears a rest and try music again in the afternoon and see if my ears will adjust with more listening.
    Last edited by kingcrowing; 06-15-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: I'm dumb...

Just trying to show you how the room and placement can affect the sound. I rearranged my whole living room to improve my sound. My TV is now sitting in front of my window and my left speaker is blocking my fireplace. Do I care? Nope, because my system sounds amazing. But hey, it's your room and your equipment. It's up to you to decide what you are willing, or not willing to do to get good sound.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 06-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.

You're right, it's good to try some different things! I think in my current setup the ideal placement would have my setup completely blocking my only windows and one speaker right next to my heater which I don't think is a compromise I can make now... All of the feedback has been very helpful though, as I'm going through settings and adjusting placement I think I can get this to work with some more tweaking.

Well, good luck to you. I hope they can work out and that you will be happy with them. If it comes down to it, Ascend has a fair return policy. So it should not be a problem.

Looks like a VERY reflective, lively room to me. Bare floor, no carpeting, not even a rug. Bare walls, windows, no curtains.

Edit: Also, low ceiling parallel to floor. And two long parallel sidewalls.

Get a big blanket or comforter or sleeping bag (or several) and put them on the floor in between the speakers and listening position. Maybe hang some from side walls. See if you like the sound a little better that way.
    Last edited by Beave; 06-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.

I think I have a sheepskin rug I could put right in that area I'll try that.

I have to say, I think u are crazy - u know it is possible that even though u recognize the Sierra to be the better speakers, they simply don't work for your sources/environment/etc..

I don't want to derail your thread, but I absolutely have to say that some of the feedback u received simply rubs me the wrong way - u are a better man than me...