Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I can't remember who it is, but somebody here has some custom Sierras with the same Raal tweeter and mid range from the towers. The highs and mids were a perfect match to the towers but they only played down to around 120hz if I remember correctly.
    I think that was "first reflect" rob from av rant podcast.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    For those who might want to use these speakers all around, what plans, if any, do you have for center-channel support?
    Hi David,

I am not quite sure I understand your question. The Luna's can certainly be used as a center (either vertically or horizontally). For horizontal placement, the ribbon tweeter can easily be rotated by 90 degrees.

More specifically, are you asking if the Luna can be used as a center?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
    Would the only compromise vs the Sierra-2 be on the low end? Or is the woofer less capable across the board?
    I would need you to be more specific regarding "less capable". Less capable how? The major difference between the 4.5" woofer in the Luna and the 6" woofer in the Sierra-2 is in efficiency and low frequency extension. Obviously, the Sierra-2 woofer is more efficient and can ultimately handle a bit more power. Other than that, the S2 woofer will provide more bass from about 100Hz and lower and it provides a slightly more linear output. The 4.5" woofer provides wider dispersion.

When crossed to a sub at about 80Hz, it is very difficult to hear a difference (at least to my ears)

I'm wondering if there would be any disadvantage to replacing Sierra-2s with Lunas as surrounds in a system with a good pair of subwoofer. Anything in favor of the Luna's? Which would match better with RAAL towers? Would they match better if as surrounds it also used as heights for atmos (6 Luna and 2 towers vs 2 towers 2 s-2s and 4 Lunas.
    Only disadvantage with replacing Sierra-2's being used as surrounds with Luna's would be that you would need more power into the Luna's to reach the same volume levels as the Sierra-2. The advantage to the Luna's would be a bit wider dispersion combined with the very obvious advantages of being quite a bit smaller.

Also, sort of side questions to Dave. Could you build a speaker with that was designed intentionally to be crossed at 80-120hz that would match or exceed the towers in the mid->top end and just not play low (and was smaller)? I ask as I just ordered a pair of Funk 18.0C subwoofers so I know I will have the 10-80hz+ (in theory up to like 4-500 if I placed the subs stereo, but I think HT summed mono would make more sense and just cross at like 120) region covered with pretty total control at my normal apartment listening levels. And so I can't help but wonder if you were to build a speaker that only played to 120hz but otherwise would match my RAAL Towers (or perhaps something even better for a stereo setup with those fancy diamond tweeters :O) how good it could sound or how much smaller it could be.
    We have already done this for our forum member Rob We used the dedicated midrange of the tower combined with the RAAL 70-20XRam ribbon. Physical size would be the same as our Sierra-2. Bass rolloff would start at around 120Hz. That said, we can do any custom speaker you like

The other reason I ask, I assume the port is part of what lets the Luna's play low. Could you make a HT only version with a different port tuning that would be more capable since it didn't have the burden of the low end?
    Again, more capable how?? What are you looking to improve? The Luna's woofer and cabinet is specifically designed for the exact port tune we are using (~60Hz) Changing the port tune (higher or lower) is not recommended and would only compromise performance.

The speaker is always going to have the burden of the low end regardless of the port tuning. The woofer receive the bass signal and it will try to reproduce it. The port tune works in combination with the woofer to actually make it easier for the woofer to reproduce those signals. The only way to remove the burden of lower bass frequencies is to either actively high pass the speaker (set the speaker to small and set a crossover of 80Hz etc.) or include a passive high pass filter in the crossover network itself (not recommended)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi David,

I am not quite sure I understand your question. The Luna's can certainly be used as a center (either vertically or horizontally). For horizontal placement, the ribbon tweeter can easily be rotated by 90 degrees.

More specifically, are you asking if the Luna can be used as a center?
    What I was asking, but not very well, was whether there would be a dedicated center in the Luna line (Luna Horizon?) or if the rotated tweeter would be he recommended solution. Sorry.

What I was asking, but not very well, was whether there would be a dedicated center in the Luna line (Luna Horizon?) or if the rotated tweeter would be he recommended solution. Sorry.
    Since there's no dedicated Sierra 1 or 2 center, I doubt there's going to be a dedicated Luna center.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs2001 View Post
    Since there's no dedicated Sierra 1 or 2 center, I doubt there's going to be a dedicated Luna center.
    Sierra-1 Center:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...M1C/srm1c.html

Sierra-2 Center:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch...t_Code=9SRM2SP

There will probably be a Luna center as well. Let Dave answer that when he can.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Sierra-1 Center:

Sierra-2 Center:

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    Sierra-1 Center:

Sierra-2 Center:

I don't consider those dedicated centers, they are the same speaker with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees and a slightly longer grill. Which is what Dave already mentioned for using the Luna as a center.
    Last edited by ajs2001; 11-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs2001 View Post
    I don't consider those dedicated centers, they are the same speaker with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees and a slightly longer grill. Which is what Dave already mentioned for using the Luna as a center.
    I remember somewhere in this thread lies discussion regarding the Luna having a different cabinet design (I.E. 2 x 4.5" woofers and tweeter) in a MTM design with the design aim being to fit in smaller cabinets and other cramped spaces. That may have changed though...
    -Ben

dtsequoia, I remember seeing that too. From what I remember an MTM Luna could have similar performance to a Sierra-2 but with less height than a Sierra-2 on it's side. If space is concern, a regular Luna on it's side with the tweeter rotated would work just fine as well. But some people do prefer the looks of an MTM style for a center speaker, including myself.

I had even talked to Dave about doing a custom MTM version of the Sierra-2, but it turns out that you really wouldn't get any more performance compared to a Sierra-2 on it's side. This is because the Sierra-2 tweeter and woofer are so closely matched in performance, that an extra woofer does practically nothing. So you're talking about paying extra money just for looks and no performance increase.

That being said, if the cost was only a few hundred more than a regular Sierra-2 I would probably get such a speaker. But getting it custom made would cost 2-3 times the cost and wouldn't make any sense unless you just have cash to burn.

There may be some performance to gain from an MTM Luna. If the RAAL tweeter has a bit more performance capability than the 4.5" woofer, then adding another woofer would make sense.

Hi David,

Thanks for the clarification.

I generally prefer to avoid the term "dedicated center" as there really is no definition of what differentiates a "center" speaker from a "main" speaker.

That said, I do believe you are asking if we will offer a more traditional looking Luna speaker for center channel duty. In this case, the answer right now is very likely Depending on feedback from the first run of Luna's (for which I expect (hope) feedback will be stellar) - we will quickly put an MTM version of the Luna into production - a woofer-tweeter-woofer speaker, similar to our 340 center but only much smaller.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com