Thread: Subwoofer myth or misunderstanding?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Subwoofer myth or misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I don't know about anybody else but it's not my intention to say that people who want extreme output or extension don't care about quality, or that you can't have extreme output and quality. My point is that it seems quite common these days to see people who judge subwoofer performance solely on output levels and they deny the existence of other performance metrics such as bass detail and articulation. And I've definitely heard some high output systems. In fact I installed a complete JTR system with 2 Captivator subs for a client of mine. It was a very impressive system, at least for movies. Didn't really spend much time listening to music with it.
    I agree folks often resort to buzz words in discreptive terms relating to subwoofers. Honestly.. I'm not immune from doing so.... on the rare occasion but I am fully aware and understand how transient response reproduction has a significant roll to play in a subs design and/or SQ.

My old dual opposed unit sound great for movies but lacked some definition found within certain musical passages used during my demo sequences, much to my chagrin. I must preface this by adding I was also comparing it to my SB13U at the time. Easy fix really by a simple upgraded to the "SE" version drivers....instant improvement...less overhang ... better suited IMO for quickened pace or tempo changes....often required with musical pieces...I suspect and likely where transient response is often lost.

Curious though to your final comment regarding the Caps.... I would suspect they'd be equally up to the task with music and movies going by their pedigree. Unless.. of course these were the massive units like Cap 4000 ULF or OS LFU designed specifically for HT SPL race purposes.
    Last edited by billy p; 10-18-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Ps...hate using my phone to reply or post.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.