Quote Originally Posted by stanfnelson View Post
I agree. I am just a little apprehensive because I have rolled different amps through my system, including some highly rated AVRs. The difference between virtually anything else was startling. The precision and clarity of the BEL was truly night and day. Now, I suspect it, even at a modest 50w/ch into 8 ohms is much more capable of driving the 4ohm maggies. I am hoping I have a different experience with the Ascends.

Funny thing is, I don't have the same experience with the Maggie center. It sounds more or less fine with most other power sources.
Maggies are a whole different story with amps because they need something that can grab on to a stable 4 ohm load with real power. Most AVRs really don't cut it, especially when they're rated at two channels most of the time. My Tympani 1D's were terrible with 105 watts, and then 300 watts even, but once I bi-amped them with 600 watts per channel, WOW! Amazing difference. Totally night and day.

However, even when amped to their best, my Ascend towers beat the pants off of my old Maggies, and they don't need nearly as much power.

I think the Maggie Center isn't as big of a difference because there is so little radiating area when compared to the mains panels, so they just don't need as beefy of a power amp to make them sing.