Thread: Matching headphones?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Matching headphones?

The Audyssey planar headphones will end your search.

Do you mean 'audeze? '
    Nate

[QUOTE=natetg57;50551]Do you mean 'audeze? '[/QUOTE
    D'oh!
    Yes, I always spell this wrong. AUDEZE!
    I heard these at Arnie Nudell's home last summer when he was reviewing them for Stereophile. He is the founder of Infinity and Genesis Audio Technologies speakers....He now listens to these headphones to the exclusion of his A++++ home speaker system.
    He played a female vocalist for me, and I jokingly said that "I could hear digestion!"
    B.

In my experience, it is far easier to find good sounding headphones than speakers. The power levels are very low and the listening environment (the area in the ear cup) is tightly controlled by the manufacturer.
    I've also found that headphone reviews are considerably more reliable than speaker reviews, or at least they more often lack weird "voodoo" claims. Head-fi

Aaron Dean, a DJ friend of mine and a headphone expert, recommends the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the (better, more expensive, now hard to find) Denon AH-D2000.

I have Sennheiser HD-650's. They sound fine but the fit and finish quality is surprisingly poor considering their price (which is now lower than when I bought them). The paint started peeling after a few months of light use, for example.

If you are interested in ear buds, as of a few years ago, Etymotic Research had some impressive units.

Thanks for the tips.

Seems HIFI Man also sells planar headphones - probably not as good but less expensive. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZG32I4/...I3W0Y0EHUJOB9L

Now that holidays are over it doesn't matter as much - but maybe headphones at work would be worth it - since I don't think I will be buying a pair of Sierras for the office.

Sorry to derail the discussion away from the beloved speakers!

Ear buds - I had some Etymotics - 4p I think but they didn't have much bass and the lack of ambience was weird. I ended up with UM2 ear buds but I think there are several choices that have bass. I think over or on ear sound better cause they aren't trying to squish all the technology inside your ear. But ear buds are surely more portable.