Page 186 of 271 FirstFirst ... 181182183184185186187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Hello to all
    I am a newbie to this forum. I am seriously considering a set of Towers in the near future. Just would like to ask a few questions from you experts. I'm reaching retirement age, but one of the things that still work right on me is my ears...They work well enough to tell me I have taken steps backwards with our system....And I aim to remedy the screw-up..
    A little history...Back a decade ago, right before they went dark,I purchased a Miller Kreisel system (5 B-1600 Book shelf's and 2 MX-70B SF Subs)and a Marantz amp( 7500 ). Had an old Panasonic CD player. I don't even remember the model... I was very pleased. It was a nice system for movies, but more importantly to me,it rocked. Watching video concerts was a pleasure. You could "feel it" . We used to invite a few couples over, sit around the system, have a few drinks,,,well sometimes,alot of them,and listen/watch a concert. (Jeff Beck, Styx, Pink Floyd etc) I decided to upgrade and purchased a Denon 4250 and an Oppo 103. Much to my surprise, when it's turned up... All the "Punch" went away. It just sounds like a really cheap system....Very muddled and ran togather.. Its a killer system for Movies, but for audio it stinks...We never have people over to rock out anymore. It would be embarrassing. I have been on AVS for months, listening to all the audiophiles tell me what "setting" to get back to my starting point. None of them worked. I have come to the conclusion that these 4 ohm M/Ks are just not working with this amp. I don't know how that old Marantz had more thump than this new one....but it did. I do know that my digital readout on my Furman always showed the old amp using a lot more current than the Denon.I sent the Denon back and they sent me a new one(AVS)...but the outcome was the same....
    Ok, enough about that, my question is, anybody on here have a Emotivia XPR-5 hooked to a Denon 4250 and run to a pair of these Towers....I would be using my M/Ks as surrounds . I might use one for a center also..not sure about it. That's what I'm thinking...Ideas? Thank you for your time....Jeff
    Last edited by Wanger 714; 01-16-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Welcome to the forum.

You have a lot going on there in your first post. So before I dive into anything, I have a couple of questions for you that will let us know how best to proceed with attempting to get you to a place where you are happy with the sound you are hearing:

1) How open are you to adhering to a slow, step-by-step process?

It's ok if you're someone who "just wants things to work". Not everyone has the time or the inclination to go through what is often a slow and tedious process. If you know right away that you won't have the patience for that, then we won't worry about it

2) Is the goal you have in mind to hear what you were already used to previously, or are you open to hearing accurate sound reproduction - perhaps for the first time?

Again, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer here. Very often, people have become accustomed to things sounding a certain way. To them, that is "right". Depending on your openness to question 1, I can tell you how to get to accurate sound reproduction, but that is often a jarring experience if it is not what you were used to.

3) Are you open to possibly thinking about how a sound reproduction system works, even if that might be different from what you've already gotten used to?

The toughest thing for many people to overcome is getting away from thinking of one component being solely responsible for some aspect of the sound. In truth, it really is a system. But that way of thinking doesn't "click" for everybody. And that's ok.

My goal here is for you to be happy with what you're hearing. But what will make you happy might not line up with what I know how to do. And the way I approach setting up an audio system might not jibe with the way you're comfortable doing it. My particular method takes patience, trial & error, and attention to detail. And at the end of it, your sound will be as accurate and transparent to the recording as possible within whatever limitations you might have. For some people, that's exactly what they want. But for other people, that sounds like a tedious nightmare! So I shall leave it to you, and respond according to how you answer my three questions above.

Unfortunately, I must warn everyone reading this that my time is very limited at the moment. So my replies might only appear in dribs and drabs. So hopefully, others will also chime in to try and help you, Jeff. But I will start by saying: IF you are open to going through a whole process (and it is perfectly ok if you aren't), then I would try to dissuade you from looking to make any purchases right away. Let us figure out what you are already working with, go through the process to get your existing equipment sounding as good as it can, and only make a purchase if it is necessary. Like I say, my method takes patience

- Rob H.

Hi Rob,and thank you .

I am very willing to try a little experimentation. I have tried a little myself, but who knows if I was perfect in my approach. I bought a Oppo 105 and tried the DAC out, bypassing my Amp (Marantz) first. . I thought that was Flat. I don't like flat. Flat might be accurate, but to me it sounds blah..I sent it back and purchased a 103..On the other hand I'm not a big Klipsh fan...they are too much the other way...Like really bright. I want clarity, imaging, depth and thump. I would like it to sound like the band is in the room WITH me and I can feel their music "in me"..That's kind of weird to explain. I grew up running around with rock bands when I was a kid, so I guess I’m spoiled.To me, thats what I call accurate.I will buy an album and not listen to it because its not mixed well. Its dead. Thats a shame, as I think Im trying to listen to the system...instead of the music...But thats how I am. And I'm not set on the sound I 'Had". In fact, my old Hafler 500, B&O Turntable, 3DBX III Impact Restorer, with Polk 1B's Towers was my favorite system I've ever owned, but it was 2 channel. I still have the DBX and the B&O

I would very mush appreciate your guidance. And I'm set to upgrade if need. When do we begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanger 714 View Post
    ....Back a decade ago, right before they went dark,I purchased a Miller Kreisel system (5 B-1600 Book shelf's and 2 MX-70B SF Subs)and a Marantz amp( 7500 )....
    If I'm not mistaken...Dave had a hand in developing those B-1600's.
    -curtis

Wanger 714,

I agree with you flat is not always the best sounding, I agree with you as well on how many recordings are done so bad!

Here is my 2 cents on what is most important in good sound.... in order of importance... Just one person's take....

#1 The recording itself
    #2 Room acoustics
    #3 Speakers
    #4 all the rest

Also I think Dave said it before, every person ears and height are different which play into how we perceive sound.

I've copied all related replies to Wanger 714's question to this thread here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...referrerid=678

That way, we can keep each thread on topic

Anyone in the N.E. PA (Easton) area or Wayne, NJ area (work) and willing to demo the towers, either version is fine but prefer the Raal. I am willing to drive an hour one way and buy lunch

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No worries, we know how much you love your Sierra Towers! I often wonder about why our customers or even potential customers forget to call us if they have urgent questions or needs. Our phone line is manned for at least 60 hours each week. I know calling many other "ID" companies goes straight to voicemail but we actually have a staff here

Guys/Gals, if you need us please call -- we are here
    I can attest to this.
    Great Customer Service

I live in Wyckoff, NJ and am willing to demo for you.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey everyone,

I made a diagram for the recommended vertical listening window for our RAAL 70mm ribbon tweeters. The diagram shows the distance from the tweeter in feet and the recommend vertical listening window in inches based on that distance. This is for a +/- 10 degree listening window, which based on measurements is ideal, but please keep in mind that exceeding this window by a few degrees is absolutely OK.

Hope this makes sense!

Ascend 70mm ribbon tweeter vertical listening window
    Very interesting and thanks for posting this. So, if I read this right, if you could introduce a 7.5 deg upward tilt you should get an approx listening window of +28.5" / -9.5" at a standing position at 9 feet from the speakers and a +31.5" / -10.5" at a sitting position at 10 feet.

Dave, do you have any recommendations against this? This could be achieved using the Soundocity SEV9 outriggers I plan on using instead of the plinths. What are the measurements of the plinth mounting holes (distance from sides and front / rear measurements)?

I like listening to music in my sweet spot but I also like listening in the kitchen "around the corner" from my listening room with a dinning room in between the two. Should I go with dome or RAAL tweeters with this listening preference? Would my upward tilt solution help with the kitchen listening?

Thanks,

Scott