Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Default Re: Help with a new 2 channel amp

I haven't turned the volume on the PM 8004 past 12:00
    Let me know about that amp.. im looking as you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I haven't turned the volume on the PM 8004 past 12:00
    Let me know about that amp.. im looking as you can see.
    You should just turn it up higher.

The amp uses 1000ASP ICEpower modules.
    -curtis

Just an update. Emotiva stepped up and helped me out in a big way. Thanks to everyone here and at Emotiva..

So with that said, the Emotiva amps should sound as good and the same as any other Hifi amp?
    I am guessing that it's my preamp {emotiva usp-1} that has the sound change then......Because the Harmon Kardon HK3490 sounds better to my ears than the USP-1 and XPA-2 set up.. The HK3490 doesn't sound as bright..
    So we established that amps sound the same but Pre-amps don't... Correct?
    I had the USP-1 and XPA-2 for a while, but the volume step control of the USP-1 was too much (perhaps even more pronounced with the 32dB gain of the XPA-2). I replaced the USP-1 with an XSP-1, and that made a significant difference in the sound quality and level of volume control. I ended up selling my XPA-2 (gen 1) and purchased a pair of XPA-1L monoblocks. The harshness/brightness of the XPA-2 was evident (to my ears) compared to the XPA-1L (29dB gain), but it was a subtle difference. Perhaps the 30W of initial class A power helped smooth things out? I only tend to listen at 70-85dB levels and rarely above 80dB if that matters.

I am happy with the XPA-1L amps and XSP-1 pre-amp combined with the Sierra Towers.
    Last edited by sesquipedalian; 03-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.

I do know they turned the gain down to 29 on the Gen 2 version. To be honest, I don't know what this means.. In any case I had an issues with the USP-1 volume as well. I used attenuates on the XPA input to help with the harsh volume.. I think the new XSP would help with this too.

Most of what I know comes from this Audioholics article

I tried attenuators for a while, but they seemed to reduce both the volume and the detailed sound (dynamic range?) that I was used to hearing. It was a good stop-gap measure at the time. I wonder if people find any need for attenuators with the USP-1 and Emotiva Gen 2 amps.

Emotiva has excellent customer service.

I only used them for a short time for the same reason as well... I do think they took some of the harshness out when music was played loud... I am in the process of either getting the XSP or the Parasound P5.

Reducing the gain...depending on the pre-amp/reciever, may mean you are not able to utilize the full power of the amplifier.
    -curtis

As far as I know the specs on the XSP-1 and the Parasound should be fine with the XDA-2 Gen 2 @ 29db gain.. Correct me if I am wrong. If so then I need to find an different preamp to buy.

As far as I know the specs on the XSP-1 and the Parasound should be fine with the XDA-2 Gen 2 @ 29db gain.. Correct me if I am wrong. If so then I need to find an different preamp to buy.
    Yeah...I would hope they would work well together.

I'm always skeptical of manufacturers' specs/claims if I can't get first hand experience...so I let others test first.