Page 99 of 150 FirstFirst ... 949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-2 Development Thread

First post here as I am anticipating a purchase of the Sierra's. I'll admit I have not read all 95 pages of this thread and therefore my questions.
    -What is the process to upgrade to Sierra 2 if I purchase the Sierra 1 nrt's now? As well, what is the associated cost?

I'm trying to decide if I just go with the 1's or wait for the 2's to be readily available. Knowing me, I like the latest and greatest and if I get the 1's, I would need to upgrade to the 2's at some point.

Please excuse these basic questions as I'm no audiophile and recently started my search for better speakers for my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by swimman View Post
    First post here as I am anticipating a purchase of the Sierra's. I'll admit I have not read all 95 pages of this thread and therefore my questions.
    -What is the process to upgrade to Sierra 2 if I purchase the Sierra 1 nrt's now? As well, what is the associated cost?

I'm trying to decide if I just go with the 1's or wait for the 2's to be readily available. Knowing me, I like the latest and greatest and if I get the 1's, I would need to upgrade to the 2's at some point.

Please excuse these basic questions as I'm no audiophile and recently started my search for better speakers for my set up.
    Welcome to the forum, swimman!

I upgraded from Sierra-1's to NrT's. See the NrT upgrade w/videos thread for the procedure. The Sierra-2 upgrade will be practically identical in the steps, only a new woofer goes in rather than the original.

To upgrade to the Sierra-2, for current Sierra-1 & NrT owners, is $388 per speaker. There is a refund for returned parts. $63 per speaker for NrT parts, less for standard Sierra-1 parts.

The NrT is an absolutely incredible speaker. I have not had the desire to upgrade from it whatsoever.....until now, since Dave does some great stuff!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 12-11-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Awfully quiet 'round these parts! Is everyone holding their breath? I am!

Dave and the crew must be very busy trying to get through all the orders and pre-orders, testing the new components, etc., etc.

I hope he can slip away and sneak in a pic or two!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post

Dave and the crew must be very busy trying to get through all the orders and pre-orders, testing the new components, etc., etc.

Very much so. I've never purchased something like this sight unseen, so the anticipation is pretty high.

Been there, done that, got the big knot on the back of my head from passing out to prove it! I must have been out cold for two days before concerned family members checked in.

At work, I just kind of stare blankly into a crystalline void. Everybody else wonders what's wrong with me, but I just hear sweet music coming from the void with underlying subliminal messages:

The Sierra-2 is coming. It's like nothing you've ever heard.

And then a blinding white light appears, and Dave walks towards me holding the custom RAAL ribbon in his right hand, and the custom SEAS woofer in his left hand. Beside him, there are 300 supermodels each holding a variety of parts from the crossover system and bamboo cabinet.

It's completely captivated me...

Yeah, if it's anything like the NrT launch, there are so many final details to arrange.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Beside him, there are 300 supermodels each holding a variety of parts from the crossover system and bamboo cabinet.
    Or this guy holding the RAAL .....
    image.jpg

Question please: Which one is better, the Sierra-1 upgraded with Raal or the Sierra-2?

Sierra-2 is using the raal and a new woofer for better mid range and sounds like better bass, if your talking about the raal in the towers I believe Dave said difference in a bookshelf speaker will be nil
    Last edited by JustABrah; 12-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Attached are the remaining measurements. First is the Energy Time Curve indicating very fast decay times. Next is the Bode plot showing impedance vs. electrical phase. Impedance never drops below 6 ohms and the electrical phase is quite benign. This is an extremely easy load for any amplifier / receiver.

And last but not least is the off-axis response + listening window. Horizontal off-axis is exceptional, showing a wide and uniform response. Vertical off-axis is good considering this is a ribbon tweeter loudspeaker and it also shows good symmetry, keeping with our original Sierra-1 philosophy. Listening window is a remarkable ± 1dB!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Or this guy holding the RAAL .....
    image.jpg
    JaJajAA!!

Brandon..you kill me!!