Page 104 of 271 FirstFirst ... 99100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    I currently own the RAAL towers and am having a problem with bloated bass, because the speakers are only 9 inches from the back wall. Would plugging the rear port help? I cannot move the speakers any farther into the room due to room constraints, so that is not an option.
    Right now I have it plugged with a sock, the bass sounds nice and tuneful, but is weak. There is no way to really rearrange the furniture without really making the room look odd.
    since the plugs were designed for the Sierra 1 and not the Tower, is it still worthwhile?
    Hi Parimento1,

Based on the info you posted, Q-Plug "B" would be ideal. It will keep the deep bass but chop off the typical bass reinforcement bump you are experiencing. I have found that Q-Plug "A" does not work too well in the tower port as there is too much pressure for this plug to properly handle but since plug "B" is open and essentially mass loads the port (reducing Fb by 10Hz), it works quite well in the towers

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

so... I have the RAAL towers and am using regular belden 10 gauge speaker cable, do you think it pays to upgrade to something better or will it really not make much, if any difference?

I've just joined the Ascend forum because I'm interested in the Sierra Towers as a possible wedding gift for my daughter. But I haven't ever heard any Ascend speakers, let alone the Towers, and despite the return guarantee, I really would want to hear them before buying. Is there anyone in Southeast Michigan (where I live) or perhaps Toledo or elsewhere in lower Michigan (maybe even Chicago, since I travel there on occasion) who has a pair of Sierra Towers that they would let me hear? Thanks.

IMO you can't do any better than the 10AWG you're currently using.

Sounddog, that is one heck of a wedding gift! I'm sure someone in your area is part of the Ascend family and would love to audition them for you.

Brian in Bakersfield...

Quote Originally Posted by sounddog View Post
    I've just joined the Ascend forum because I'm interested in the Sierra Towers as a possible wedding gift for my daughter. But I haven't ever heard any Ascend speakers, let alone the Towers, and despite the return guarantee, I really would want to hear them before buying. Is there anyone in Southeast Michigan (where I live) or perhaps Toledo or elsewhere in lower Michigan (maybe even Chicago, since I travel there on occasion) who has a pair of Sierra Towers that they would let me hear? Thanks.
    If your new son-in-law doesn't like them, I will marry your daughter.

In all seriousness, I hope you get a chance to hear an Ascend speaker.

Maybe we can help by comparing them to speakers you do know and like.
    -curtis

so... I have the RAAL towers and am using regular belden 10 gauge speaker cable, do you think it pays to upgrade to something better or will it really not make much, if any difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
    IMO you can't do any better than the 10AWG you're currently using.
    I agree with holt. Those 10 gauge "hoses" will be as good as any for a clean un-attenuated signal.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sounddog View Post
    I really would want to hear them before buying.
    I can't help you there, but wanted to say welcome and...are you adopting?

I'm sure you'll figure it out if you spend some time on the forums reading and asking questions, but Ascend has the best service and following I've seen. Ultimately, there were a few key conversations and happenings you can read in this thread that sealed the deal for me purchasing sight unseen....and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Sheep

As the others have said, Wow, what a wedding gift! Talk about starting off on the right foot.

Save your money. In my opinion, you won't gain any noticeable improvements by upgrading your current cable. The 10-gauge Belden stuff (5T00UP?) is a quality product.
    -Jacob

SoundDog- I listened to many speakers both at home and in the store. They all sounded good... but there always seemed to be either something missing, or conversely, too much of a certain trait. Then I ordered a pair of Sierra-1's with Nrt tweeter. Within 30 seconds of hearing the Sierra-1's, I knew they were very promising. Within 20 minutes, knew they were not going back and have been enjoying them to this day.

A few months ago while I was on an business trip to San Diego, I visited Dave and Dina at Ascend. Dave set up a pair of Sierra Towers for me to listen to left me alone in the listening room with the remote and collection of CD's that covered nearly the entire spectrum of musical tastes. The Towers were very impressive. They kept the balanced and enjoyable musical qualities of the Sierra-1's, coupled with a deeper and bass and more detailed midrange. I would describe both the bass and midrange as not really more present, but as more effortless than the Sierra-1. Most importantly, they were simply fun to listen to!

I am sharing this with you because I know it is a bit of a gamble to purchase speakers without listening to them first. If you do choose to purchase from Ascend, you are not only getting an outstanding product for the money, but also working with some very nice and caring people. Hopefully you will find some to hear.

BTW, I have ordered a pair of Towers and they are arriving at my house next week.