Page 96 of 271 FirstFirst ... 919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

I moved the discussion of the Wisconsin GTG to...

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4988
    -curtis

I have a couple questions about the towers:
    1. What is the mid driver? I read somewhere that it's a Seas midrange, but not sure if it's correct.
    2. Is there horizon center available with standard, non-RAAL tweeter? and whats the price for it?
    3. Anybody has a pair in Chicago area they are willing to demo?

I currently run a 5.0 SongTowers based setup and want to see if SierraTowers would be an upgrade (both with standard tweeters).
    I was hoping the Wis GTG will give some answers, but I guess I will have to listen for myself to decide the winner.

Thanks

Welcome,

Not sure about #1. As for #2, yes both tweeters are available. I think the dome starts at $1000 depending on finishes etc. The RAAL adds $350 per speaker.

I was at the GTG with my RAAL towers. I live outside Milwaukee and own the RAAL center as well if you are interested in hearing them?

I have heard the ST's numerous times in different environements. I may be a bit baised, but the mid driver in the Ascend to me adds a bit more detail over and above the salks. My "theory" I posted in the AVS thread describes it.

You are correct though, decide for yourself before buying

Quote Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post
    1. What is the mid driver? I read somewhere that it's a Seas midrange, but not sure if it's correct.
    2. Is there horizon center available with standard, non-RAAL tweeter? and whats the price for it?

I currently run a 5.0 SongTowers based setup and want to see if SierraTowers would be an upgrade (both with standard tweeters).
    I was hoping the Wis GTG will give some answers, but I guess I will have to listen for myself to decide the winner.

Thanks

It is a custom driver made for Ascend. I don't believe Seas is involved. Seas is the OEM for all the softdome tweeters.

Incidentally, all of Ascends drivers are customized/developed for/by Ascend, even the RAAL's housing and faceplate. In fact, my understanding is the RAAL housing change will become standard.

Dave deals with and purchases directly from his OEMs.

More info than you asked for, but I thought worth mentioning.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    ....all of Ascends drivers are customized/developed for/by Ascend, even the RAAL's housing and faceplate. In fact, my understanding is the RAAL housing change will become standard.
    Damn. That speaks volumes about Dave's engineering skills.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    Damn. That speaks volumes about Dave's engineering skills.

True Dat.. says the proud owner of Towers..

Djoel

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Welcome,

Not sure about #1. As for #2, yes both tweeters are available. I think the dome starts at $1000 depending on finishes etc. The RAAL adds $350 per speaker.

I was at the GTG with my RAAL towers. I live outside Milwaukee and own the RAAL center as well if you are interested in hearing them?

I have heard the ST's numerous times in different environements. I may be a bit baised, but the mid driver in the Ascend to me adds a bit more detail over and above the salks. My "theory" I posted in the AVS thread describes it.

You are correct though, decide for yourself before buying
    Thanks for the offer, enthusiasts like that make playing with ID speakers worth the while.
    I'll try to find some1 closer, if no1 answers, i'll stop by.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It is a custom driver made for Ascend. I don't believe Seas is involved. Seas is the OEM for all the softdome tweeters.

Incidentally, all of Ascends drivers are customized/developed for/by Ascend, even the RAAL's housing and faceplate. In fact, my understanding is the RAAL housing change will become standard.

Dave deals with and purchases directly from his OEMs.

More info than you asked for, but I thought worth mentioning.
    thanks,
    that's exactly what I needed, the more info the better.

Thanks
    I live in DeKalb, and would be happy to let you hear my RAAL equipped Towers. Please PM me if you are interested in setting something up.

Jay

In general, should the towers be toed-in for optimal performance, or does it depend on listening distance, or does it not really matter? I've tried the speakers both toed-in and straight on, and I prefer the sound in either orientation for different reasons.