Thread: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Hm. Dave's answer may very well be different, but I can't imagine the speakers' qualities and advantages would remain the same if their orientation was altered so drastically. It would probably require a redesign of sorts to accomodate.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Thumbs up Re: Sierra Horizon (Sierra Tower Center)

Yes, I finally found the video Dave posted with the SPL meter. I imagine the dispersment patterns would be off with them vertical.

I want to hear more about the Horizons as Mains in the horizontal position Sound Anchors could make stands. I have had my local metal fabricating shop make stands too.

Hi Guys,

I apologize for all of the delays. Regrettably, we had a delay in receiving an important shipment of capacitors that are required to finish the Horizon crossovers. Thankfully these capacitors arrived today. We are really behind right now so I ask you for your continued patience. Shipping notices will be going out shortly for the Horizons.

Okay – now to summarize some thoughts after many hours of listening comparisons.

Do the Horizons work well vertically? – Yes, absolutely. I find that they perform best with their tweeters to the outside but this will depend on your room. With regard to vertical vs. horizontal orientation, I feel that the speakers are slightly more coherent when placed horizontally, which is to be expected as this was their original design goals. However, their performance when oriented vertically is actually better than I would have anticipated. In fact, this unique speaker’s performance is quite remarkable when considering its size compared to typical tower speakers.

In comparison to the Sierra Towers, it does not perform better but because of its smaller size, it seems more impressive as you expect a certain level of performance with our Tower.

The Sierra Tower has more precise imaging and bass is a bit deeper, which is due to the fact that the port tube and woofers are closer to the floor, which will enhance the bass. Highs and mids are identical, which is to be expected. The Horizon, however, seems to have a bit more “slam” to it.

If someone is seriously considering a set of Horizons vs. Sierra Towers, if dynamic home theater is the highest priority for the system, a set of (3) Horizons is a great solution if they can be properly placed into the room. If music listening is high priority, Sierra Towers as mains is the better choice.

As requested, I have attached a few pics.

I hope this helps!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The Horizon, however, seems to have a bit more “slam” to it.

If someone is seriously considering a set of Horizons vs. Sierra Towers, if dynamic home theater is the highest priority for the system, a set of (3) Horizons is a great solution if they can be properly placed into the room. If music listening is high priority, Sierra Towers as mains is the better choice.
    thanks for the reply. i still think i like the center better for its shorter proportions and the front port. if paired with a great sub, would their be less low-end differences between the two? can you elaborate on 'slam' some how?

I don't see the dimensions of the STC in this particular thread...I've seen them somewhere....maybe in another thread? I would like to know their exact measurments because I have a feeling my display will need to raised in order to accommodate the STC(see avatar) which I'll be looking to order in the next few weeks.

Just doing some early homework and "YES" I'm getting rid of the inwalls...

Here they are: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=732

Final dimensions are:

11" high x 23" wide x 12.5" deep (13" deep with grille)

So I've got a question about finish options.

At the moment, Ascend customers can order a pair of Towers or a Horizon/STC in High Gloss Black. A while back, Dave mentioned in this post that a true Piano Black finish might be possible in the future. Is this option still cooking on the burner?

Or, how about this angle: if a customer wanted to purchase a Horizon/STC in true Piano Black finish (and was willing to pay the extra), would this custom finish be possible at this stage in the game?
    -Jacob