Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Thumbs up Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    2. The pesky dip at 3kHz has been reduced to only 1/2dB, which is inaudible.
    That would be fabulous.

4. Overall curve is remarkably linear, coming in at an amazing +/- 0.5dB throughout the bandwidth of the speaker.
    Impressive. VERY impressive.

I should mention that there is a lot more to this new tweeter than freqency response improvements. Improved damping, better transient accuracy, higher power handling, better cooling and lower distortion
    "Better transient accuracy"... If I wasn't already on the list to get the upgrade, you'd have me now. Dave, you have an amazing talent for writing exactly what I want to read about these things.

To say that I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival, well, that'd fall under "epic understatement." Can I slip you an extra $100 to make them come faster? Please?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Attached are comparison frequency response measurements. Stock Sierra-1 curves are green, Sierra-1 NrT are yellow.

First graph is an actual in-room response at 2 meters, reflections and all, speaker placed in the middle of the room at about 4 feet high.

Second graph is the same measurement with reflections taken out, unsmoothed. Bass response below 200Hz should be ignored and port tube output is not included.

Third graph is zoomed in to better see what the new tweeter is doing compared to the stock tweeter.

A few comments:

1. Notice the considerable difference in high-frequency extension. Stock tweeter is about -3dB at 22kHz. NrT is -3dB at ~ 28kHz with much more information above 18kHz.

2. The pesky dip at 3kHz has been reduced to only 1/2dB, which is inaudible.

3. Two other dips in the response have been resolved.

4. Overall curve is remarkably linear, coming in at an amazing +/- 0.5dB throughout the bandwidth of the speaker. (note, port tube output is not factored into the anechoic response, which will fill in the mild dip in output below 500Hz)

I should mention that there is a lot more to this new tweeter than frequency response improvements. Improved damping, better transient accuracy, higher power handling, better cooling and lower distortion -- but I feel the most obvious way to visualize the improvement is to simply compare the response measurements.

I took these comparison measurements just the other night and I grabbed a random Sierra-1 from the production line. Interestingly enough, look how close the Sierra-1 quasi-anechoic in-room measurement matched up with the anechoic measurement for the Sierra-1 on our site (you must ignore the new measurement below 200Hz). They are almost identical! Considering the speakers production dates are nearly 4 years apart, that is remarkable and something even I did not expect

Enjoy!
    Looking good! Can't wait!

i thought the tower concept was not an idea you were looking into. well nice to see some new models coming out, the new tweeter has me really excited. is an mtm on the way? i was hoping i read something about that along the way in this thread

The prototype! I think the consensus of everyone there was they were fabulous.

Dave...thanks for allowing some of us over for a listen. Hospitality was great, great music, and great speakers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curtis; 08-29-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

Dave...thanks for allowing some of us over for a listen. Hospitality was great, great music, and great speakers!
    Interesting Tower concept. Any idea of the estimated price range?

Quote Originally Posted by tntbigman23 View Post
    Interesting Tower concept. Any idea of the estimated price range?
    I don't think it is an unusual concept. It is a MTWW arrangement.

Price range was discussed, I think it would be safe to say that Dave is aiming below the $2K mark.

We also heard the Sierra NrT, but it looks like the Sierra-1 with a black colored waveguide.
    -curtis

Wow, looks great! Wish I could have been there. Stupid work!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

Dave - Those speakers are gorgeous. I'd like to sign up for serial numbers 1 and 2 please

I'm serious.

Jon
    Jon O.

It looks like the new tweeter has an upward trending response that peaks around 4-5dB at ~24KHz. Is that going to sound "hot" in the treble compared to the original Sierra-1?

Unless you have dog hearing, anything above 20khz isn't going to be audible to you