Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
This statement is completely wrong!
That was a question, and questions can't be wrong.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other... You are not "crossing manually" to the subwoofer.The receiver's crossover is still in effect (the subwoofer does not and can not control the receiver's crossovers).
Sure, the receiver's crossover is in effect, BUT if your receiver is crossing at 120hz, and your sub is crossing at 80hz, which speaker is then playing 100hz material? Answer: (other than spillover) - none of them are.

The reason for this is because when you defeat the LP filter, you are bypassing an opamp stage and various resistors and capacitors. By removing these components, you are actually changing several other characteristics of the critical low-level source signal, before the amplification stage. Bypassing these components does more than simply defeating the subwoofer's low-pass filter...
A bunch of stuff over my head, but none of which changes the fact that most modern subs allow you to defeat the crossover. Actually, so far, this is the only modern sub I know of that won't let you. Are there any other ID's that won't let you do it (which is a nice way of say, can't do it)?

Precise servo control of the woofer is achieved by calculating a predicted response. Variations from this predicted response cause the servo to "correct". Defeating the LP filter will throw off the already predicted response and the precise servo control of the woofer will not be as accurate.
Lamen's interpretation: You give a lot to gave "servo" benefits.

I hope you can understand the above... Servo subwoofers should not be confused with non-servo subwoofers, they are far more complex...
I understood enough. They lack one essential dolby digital era sub ability, which is the ability to defeat the crossover and allow the receiver to completely, and entirely control which sound goes where.