Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossover question w/340SE

One thing to remember is that when you set the crossover at 80hz it does not just stop one speaker and start the other. Why does this matter? If the crossover is second order, 12db per an octave, and your speakers are flat to 80hz but are -6db at 75 hz (and continues to drop at that rate) then there is going to be a noticeable hole there. There are some who believe your speakers should be flat to a whole octave below the crossover point. That would suggest your speakers should be flat to 40hz for a 80hz crossover. I personally think this is overkill as long as things are in phase and the response is flat I will be happy. Don't worry so much about the numbers, they are just tools. Do what sounds best.

Well, I have finally got the 340SEs, outlaw 990, and DD18 all working togather and I must say the results absolutely AMAZE me! I know good sound when I hear it but as a newbie at this hobby this is my first time setting up all the different things that go together to make great sound. I was a littl overwhelming at first attempt and I must admit it has taken me two weeks to get it right. However, now that I have been through the procedure I could probably do it in a single Saturday.
    The DD18 is an incredible subwoofer. It sounded like complete crap when I first turned (operator error) it on but once I learned how to use a nd set it up prpoerly and made all the adjustments it is incredible. On music you cannot even tell there's a sub, as far as localization of the LF sounds. It sounds as thogh the 340's are responsible for all that wonderfull bass. No, I do not need and U1s.