i'm a little late to this thread, but i'd like to throw some comments out there.

first off, me and my girlfriend really liked the new king kong, and can't quite understand why it got so many negative responses, most of which were because of its length. i personnally love long movies (watched all three LOTR extended versions back to back twice now, and will become an annual event i think). but to each his own.

as for the "weak bass" of the 340SE, i really find that hard to believe. i watched aeon flux two nights ago with ONLY a pair of 170SE's, no sub, no surround, nothing, and there was plenty of bass for my taste. maybe i'm a wuss when it comes to bass, but i thought it sounded fantastic, and even commented to my girl how happy i was with the sound.

i can only imagine that once i get the 340SE's across the front (plan on getting the center in the next couple weeks, which i desperately need for watching movies at this point) and move the 170SE's to surround duty, it will only sound better with even more bass. depending on that, i may choose to pass on the sub for longer than initially planned.

to summarize, if the 170's can produce the amount of bass they do, i don't see why people complain about the 340's lacking bass. oh well...