Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The CMT-340 and CMT-340c Signature Editions

Default Measurements!

Combination ground plane (for accurate LF response) + on-axis (for accurate HF response) at 1 meter.

sensitivity = 90dB @ 1w @ 1meter
    response = 48Hz to 24kHz +/- 3dB

Confirmed: Pre-orders will begin production on Jan 10. Shipping will begin by Friday Jan 13.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Combination ground plane (for accurate LF response) + on-axis (for accurate HF response) at 1 meter.

sensitivity = 90dB @ 1w @ 1meter
    response = 48Hz to 24kHz +/- 3dB

Confirmed: Pre-orders will begin production on Jan 10. Shipping will begin by Friday Jan 13.
    Hi Dave,

I'm a newbie when it comes to audio. By chance, do you have the same graph for the current CMT-340 for comparison?
    thanks

Looks great Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by jbhungvt
    Hi Dave,

I'm a newbie when it comes to audio. By chance, do you have the same graph for the current CMT-340 for comparison?
    thanks
    You mean this?
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340mmeas.html
    -curtis

Looks good. If flat is good.

Just wondering, since I've not had a chance to test Ascend speakers in my own room: What advantages, other than lower bass response and slightly louder output, does the 340SE offer over the 170SE? I have a HSU VTF-3 MK II and I plan to cross-over all my speakers at 80Hz, so I really don't think the extra 10 Hz down low will be much of an impact for the way I'll be using the speakers.

Before, with the "Classics" I had heard that the 340's had wider dispersion than the 170's, but now, Dave F. describes the 170SE's as having "exceptionally wide" dispersion, so I'm thinking this is no longer the case with the SE models.

My room is 12.5' wide x 18.5' long x 8' high. A mid to small room I believe with 1850 cubic feet. Seats would be about 10' and 15' (two rows) from the front speakers and within 16 degrees to either side of center. I do like to crank sound up to over 90 dB for explosions in movies though and typically listen above 80 dB at the seat 10' away, so distortion free output at these levels is important to me.

My walls are treated with absorption panels so side reflections are not major issue. I'd just like to know if people think the 340SE's would be a better choice for me, or if the 170SE's will do the trick. I'm more drawn to the 170SE's for their size and price, but the performance is more important than either of these factors to me.

Thanks for any input!

Jon

Dave is the only one that has heard both of the SEs at this point to be able to tell you.

If it were me, I'd opt for the 340's. Especially for the front stage. Take a speaker that has an FR of 80Hz-20kHz +/-3dB. You say, "That's fine because I'll be crossing over at 80Hz anyway." The new 170's will play down to around 60Hz, but at reference levels they will be asked to play an 80Hz tone at super high volume and since the crossover isn't a brick wall, material down to 40Hz will still be trying to come out at a pretty good level depending on the slope of the crossover used. Now, I'm not saying the 170 is a bad speaker. Far from it, but as they say, there is no replacement for displacement. The new 340 can play down to around 45-50Hz, so it can belt out a high volume 80Hz and up tone with much less strain. Remember, in home theater it's not the low frequency extension from the mains that we're after. It's the added dynamics that a larger speaker will give you at and above the crossover point. This is the reason that a lot of folks use full range floor standers in their HT and still cross them over at 80Hz. Just my .02
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller
    My room is 12.5' wide x 18.5' long x 8' high. A mid to small room I believe with 1850 cubic feet. Seats would be about 10' and 15' (two rows) from the front speakers and within 16 degrees to either side of center. I do like to crank sound up to over 90 dB for explosions in movies though and typically listen above 80 dB at the seat 10' away, so distortion free output at these levels is important to me.

I'm more drawn to the 170SE's for their size and price, but the performance is more important than either of these factors to me.

Thanks for any input!

Jon
    I'm in the same situation you are. My room is the same size, and the seats will be the same distance away.

I like to crank up loud music every so often. Heavy metal at concert volumes, so a dynamic speaker is important to me for those rare events.

The 340SE has two woofers and a bigger heatsink/magnet on it's tweeter than the 170SE, so it's more capable at higher volumes. (and not a "little" more capable... a LOT more)

That said, I have a feeling the 170SE will be enough for us. I'm using a couple of HTM-200s in stereo right now, and in this small room, they get just about as loud as I want. 170s are supposed to be even louder. I *will* be going with a 340SE center though, since the center channel gets asked to play even louder than the mains in most movies, and I don't want to risk a 170 or 200 not being up to the task.

There is a small chance I *may* get the 340SE for the mains also, if I can figure out a way to wall mount it. Nothing wrong with having *extra* dynamic range, right?

Update:
    After looking around for brackets that can support the 25lb weight of the 340s, I found the Vogels VLB 100. Parts express also sells a much less expensive one that is not as good looking, but does the same thing. Both would require putting screws in the back of the speaker, which I don't care about unless someone can give me an acoustic reason why not. Vogels also makes the VLB 200 which clamps onto the bottom of the speaker, which would eliminate any drilled holes.

So, it looks like the 340s can be wall mounted, so I will probably go with them over the 170s. They are only half an inch deeper than the 170s, so they won't intrude into my small room any worse. I'll still have to keep 200s for the sides and rear surrounds to save some space.
    Last edited by S_rangeBrew; 12-30-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Default 340 vs 170

I have the same questions regarding the choice of mains. My room is large and I'm on the list for 170se because I had the same feeling it would be ok for me. Now wondering if I may regret not getting 340. I might have to take Eddie's advice for displacement. Loud music is where I find my current tiny speakers most lacking.

I picked an stf2 sub and am happy with it even though recommendations based on room size point to larger. Now, if I made the mistake of hearing both in my room, it would be addictive to want more, more, more!

Wall mount stands - there should be a recommended product or even a resold one with the order. (want fries with that?)

-Jon

Good points, Eddie! Thank you for the input. I'm leaning more and more to the idea that I'm just going to order a whole bunch of speakers and listen for myself It's honestly the only way I'm going to know for sure, isn't it? It's quite an added cost for me to do this, since I'm in Canada and return shipping isn't going to be cheap. But then again, buying one set of speakers and then having to order another because the first wasn't ideal costs even more! I know this first hand since the Axiom center speakers (I tried both) let me down Not to say that they are poor speakers - they were much better than a lot of others I had heard or tried, but the timbre match with my M50Ti's across the front wasn't PERFECT and that's what I'm after.

Anyways...it looks like listening for myself will be the only way to know which front speaker combination will work best for me and which surround speakers will work best for me so that's what I'll have to do! At least I know I'm happy with my HSU VTF-3 MK2 subwoofer and that is has WAY more headroom and output capability than I need

Jon