Quote Originally Posted by Asliang View Post
Interesting! So being that THD is not the important factor here, I guess the major question is will the new Curv woofer have greater bass extension than the one in the S2, or will the difference mainly be power handling? What popped out immediately to me was that the Scan Illuminator played quite a bit deeper.

Regarding the design goal of avoiding a complex crossover, will the diamond tweeter allow a simpler crossover design? What are your opinions of using a lower order crossover, for example Dynaudio has used 1st order crossovers for decades, which seems to create a very good driver integration as seen on the impulse response. And do you think you will be using a lower order crossover for the "Sierra Diamond" speaker?
Dynaudio, from what I remember, doesn't use 1st order *electrical* crossovers. They use fairly complex, high-level *electrical* crossovers to get what approximates 1st order electro-acoustic crossover slopes (ie, the slope when the crossover and driver response are combined).

If you look at any of the crossover boards of Dynaudio speakers, there are simply WAY too many components for them to be 1st order electrical crossovers.

B&W, on the other hand, do use 1st order electrical crossovers on many of their speakers - a single cap for highpassing their tweeters, and a single inductor for lowpassing their midwoofers.