Thread: Help a relative noobie w/ Speaker Guidance

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help a relative noobie w/ Speaker Guidance

Been lurking extensively with a couple of posts.
    Want to upgrade and drawn to Ascend. Current system Onkyo HTIB but I dug out some old Mission 77 speakers.

Listen at very moderate volumes. 70% TV, 15% movies, 15% music. No gaming. Would like a versatile system that handle all of these. Would like really crisp/clear dialog and open airy music. Definitely not bass heads. Do plan to get a sub, maybe a Rythmik. Will also get an AVR maybe something like Denon s720, x1300, x2300--sort out later. Don't want any separates so speakers need to be easily driven with AVR. 5.1 system for foreseeable future. (Hold off on surrounds for now and use existing speaker)

Room is pretty big 23x18, cathedral ceiling 14 ft.
    Room is 50% open in back to kitchen/dining, open on one side to hallway and stairs. Seating about 12 ft from TV. Picture attached.

Definitely not an audiophile just want a good system.
    I'm torn between the CMTs and Sierra 1's. A big consideration is the center. The mantle is 10 inches wide, I can raise the TV (yes I hate the TV above the fireplace but stuck with it). The center will be essentially flush with wall. Would Ascend make sense? Should I look for a front ported center? I have been looking hard at the KEF Q300 and Q200C.

I am planning to put the LR on the built-in, I know that is not ideal but is what I would like to do (34.5 inches high). That is a very wide built-in, so I have flexibility in placement.

Sorry, long-winded post. Recap:
    1) CMT vs Sierra 1?
    2) Center placement difficulties?
    3) Can a standard AVR drive efficiently, particularly the Sierras?

(Also posted @ AVS)
    Attached Images Attached Images